The Year 2095

"Amanda couldn't sleep. There was too much on her mind. Tomorrow she was going to see her Grandpa Bob. He lived far away, in the country. Where he grows crops and goes fishing in the lake as clear as the sky. Amanda loved when she visited him. He would tell her great stories about when he was little. Like the one he had told her last time, about how parents had to go to work to earn money. Amanda thought that story was crazy because today all you had to do is put on the 'give it all hat' and think what you want. Then it would mysteriously appear in your hands. The next morning Amanda raced out of bed. She then put on her magic hat and thought about getting ready, with her bags packed and dressed finely in her wonderful yellow sunflower dress that shone brightly in the sun. Then suddenly after she took off the hat. Boom, she was ready to go at the front door waiting for her mother. Then her mother Camila appeared with the keys for the skyer. A skyer is like a car but flies. It looks small from the outside but when you walk in it is like a mansion, huge, stylish and modern. In they go together hand in hand. Then they fly high up in the sky, heading to Grandpa's Bobs place.
Amanda felt the burst of wind as she opened the door. She stepped on the old, wooden floor boards as her mum rode away. The floor boards creaked as she walked. Grandpa Bob was waiting for her in his red chair in the lounge room. Amanda walked in the room, she could see him smiling at her with a book in his right hand. Grandpa then put the book down and looked at Amanda, who had just pulled out her give it all hat. Her stomach had been grumbling since she arrived. So Amanda thought about a cheeseburger. Then she took off the hat. Nothing. Nothing had happened. Amanda looked at the magic hat and gave it a shake. Then suddenly the TV came on with a news alert. The screen read 'the giving star is down, it was blown to bits by the local aliens on the planet of buggy'. The TV then turned off after the message. Grandpa Bob got up from the chair and starting walking to the kitchen. "What are you doing Grandpa Bob?" Amanda asked. "You aren't going to get food if you just sit there," Grandpa explained to Amanda.
They both walked together into the kitchen to make lunch manually. Before they started Grandpa told Amanda a story. "A while back, when I was younger my mother helped me in the kitchen. We made a salad using the freshly grown tomatoes from the garden. Then I put cheese we made from our milk that was from daisy the cow. My mother did the rest by putting in the lettuce, cucumber and carrot. It was the best day of my life," remembered Grandpa. Together they made a salad just like the one in the story. Grandpa Bob always told her that when you make the food it tastes better then when you make it appear. After all he was always right, the food was simply delicious.
Grandpa walked slowly to the lounge room, he turned on the TV and starting laughing. Amanda followed him. The TV had shown the people of the world flipping out because the magic hats are not working as the giving star is down. People were hungry and confused as they didn't know the survival skills like cooking, cleaning and growing their food. Amanda felt lucky as she was staying with her Grandpa Bob who knew it all. One week past and Amanda had learnt the basic survival skills to live. She knew that she had to help the people in the world, so she told her Grandpa that we need to do something. The two of them travelled place to place teaching people to cook, clean and grow food. Amanda and Grandpa Bob were shown on TV and in one week they were well know faces.
Time past and the give it all hats were restricted in use. Amanda and Grandpa Bob were given a medal for saving the world. That was a big part in their life, especially because it was given to them by the queen!
That's all for tonight Peter and Grace," Amanda said to her grandchildren. "Aww… Can you tell us more tomorrow?” Grace asked. "Of course I can, now goodnight, lights out."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!