Veritas Nunquam Périt

“Jake remember your reason.”
Who is this? Doctor?
“Good luck.”
Doctor, wait I… oh this is pretty. Shallow, aqua water has filled the small smooth round craters of white sand that shines with the magical rays of the sun. The water is so luminous, sand is warm, and the air motionless. I must know here. The transparent liquid reached out to my bare foot, caressing it with subtle chaos. My skin softened with the lukewarm temperature, my eyes get heavy and the elegance of the sky’s calmness leads my mind into dreaming. Time raced during my unconscious moment. When I opened my eyes, I was confronted with a different world. A darker air and insecure clouds. Opaque, plum painted water. I’ve been through this before, I'm sure of it. Soft humming.

Déjà-vu?

Humming in the distance. Maya? Is that you? Hard wind. Cold. The water whistles. The blood warms in me. I pull myself out the water worried. Blood red. Maya turns thick, dense, sticky. Run. Storms, thunders will come. I remember this. I run before the tornado owned my body. I run until I see another bright light.

“That's it Jake.”
I did it.
“Listen to me carefully.”
A figure appears in front of me.
“If you see her again….”
Not a figure, she's Maya.
“Do not listen to her voice.”
She observes me gracefully. Almost feels like I’m dreaming.
“Remember that.”
Feels like she had been there before. So close to me. My muscles ease and release sweat heat to my tense legs and arms.
“You want to forget her.”
I don't remember that. My heart shivers by the sight of her for the reasons that I’ve buried under my deepest thoughts.

Buried? A honeyed voice.

You only tried to bury.
But we both know that you can't send memories away. Jake, you killed me.
Maya, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. And now you’re trying to cover it up. A lump in my throat. Tears force out. Maya you know I love you. Come back home.

What makes you think that you can replace your faults with other images? Made up memories you created will not change the fact that I'm gone! Wake up Jake! And tell your doctor that I will find you in every one of your other dreams.

She hits the silver trolley with her fist. Blood rushes to her face.

I can hear every one of your thoughts. You want to start imagining your friend performing my surgery. Blame it all on him. So when you wake up, you believe in that. Believe in what you want to believe in. But it's not that easy.
“Jake. Don't believe in her. You're sweating. Are you alright?”
What does your doctor say Jake? Does he want you to kill me? Am I intimidating you? Get used to it. Because healing is a painful process. Now remember why you're here, why you want to forget me, and wake up with that.

Veritas nunquam périt

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!