Sadiq

The new boy is coming soon. His name is Adnan and he is meant to be very sensitive, after what happened. He is approaching right now, the closer he gets the clearer I can see him. He is short and very skinny, with a slumped posture. His eyes look scared and cautious, like he has seen too much. When he finally got to the gate I, with a warm smile, put out my hand. He shook it with a very loose grip. ‘Marhabaan’ he said. After seeing my puzzled look, he said ‘I speak not much English’ in a thick accent.
I had been told weeks before that his knowledge of English was basic but it still came as a bit of a surprise to me. I smiled at him and he said ‘Sadiq?’. I gave him a puzzled look and started to show him around the school. I showed him different pictures to explain each subject. He got quite excited when I showed him pictures of different fizzing chemicals in test tubes for Science but I gave up trying to explain English. I told him about the activities at lunchtime and even though he was nodding his head I knew he didn’t understand. The rest of the day went very fast with him hiding in the corner of the classroom in class and disappearing during recess and lunch. The first thing I did when I got home was Google ‘how to speak Syrian’. I learnt that they speak Arabic in Syria and that ‘marhabaan’ means hello.
Adnan arrived late today. During recess, I said ‘marhabaan’ to him. I saw a faint smile on his face. I didn’t realise how long it had been that he’d heard someone hello to him. I couldn’t find him at recess so I assumed he wanted to be alone, but what I saw at lunch made anger burn inside me like a raging bushfire. He was being bullied by some year tens. Some were punching and slapping while others just swore at him. I told the year tens to back off otherwise I would get a teacher. They walked away. I rushed over to Adnan. ‘Sadiq?’ he asked, I helped him up without answering.
Last night I learnt more Arabic and I finally understood what the new boy has been saying. I can’t wait to see him today. I just arrived at school and can’t find him, I wonder where he is? I looked around for a while and finally found him. He was huddled in a ball in the corner of the classroom crying. It was then that I realised how privileged I am. I live in a safe country with money and Communication and Parents that love me. I sat next to him and patted him on the back. I gave him a tissue and he blew his nose. He stopped crying. I helped him up and he gave me a hug. ‘Sadiq?’ he asked. ‘Yes’ I replied, ‘I am your friend’.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!