Take The Plunge

My head was pounding. I could hear my heat beat like a war drum. The icy wind was cool on my exposed skin. The jagged rock was hard beneath my bare feet. I took a step closer, the wind blew in my hair. I could the salt in the air. I took a deep breath. The scent of nature engulfed me. I could hear the birds on the nearby mountains squawking and the people behind me shouting. They wanted me to jump. I closed my eyes and slowed my breathing. All the sounds around me became quiet. All I could hear was the sound of my breath. Peering over the edge, I saw the 100 foot drop below. Bright blue water rippled below, crashing onto the side of the cliff and bubbling white foam. I forced my feet to move forward until my toes were hanging over the edge. I was scared. I could die. I must be stupid to be doing this. I turned around so I faced the people behind me. I looked from face to face, all of them eager to see me jump. I finally landed on my best friends face. She looked terrified and gave me a small smile. I grinned from ear to ear, spread out my arms and let myself fall. I was flying. For a split second I forgot about the world around me and everything fell into slow-motion. I crashed into the waves, the water pulling me under. I let myself keep falling, enjoying how the water felt around me making me weightless. With the need for air I kicked towards the surface. I broke it and flipped me hair back. I looked up at the faces on the cliff, too small to identify them. Smiling, I threw one fist in the air and shouted in victory, in joy. I couldn't believe I did it. I took the plunge.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!