Back Through Time To The French Revolution

‘Ready or not, here I come!’ I looked around for a good place to hide. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the perfect spot; it was an old garage, with the door creakily hanging off its hinges. I faintly heard my brother’s distant footsteps, and rushed in the mildewed garage.
This is surprisingly exciting. Harry had to convince me for ten minutes before I reluctantly agreed to play game of hide and seek with him. I try not to show how excited I was. The garage was too quiet; I have never heard such deafening silence before. My hair was standing on end, my palms were getting sweatier and my eyes were wide. Unexpectedly, I heard a loud thud and crash. Probably just a branch that fell off a tree.
I couldn’t hear Harry’s footsteps now; he must have gone off somewhere else to find me. Creeping towards the door, I was still the king of hide and seek. I more confidently walked out of the door, but something took me by surprise: the sudden increase of noise. I looked around and there were now so many people here. The long, green grass had vanished, instead, it had turned to a brown street with loose pebbles everywhere. The old haunted building was not there anymore, instead, a beautiful palace stood out from the other small grimy shops beside it. I squinted as I tried to look inside the astounding building; the shadow of a lady who looked like Marie Antoinette - Is that even possible? – and her huge mountain of cake. There were hundreds of starving peasants outside the palace. Then it hit me: I’m in the French Revolution.
How do I get back home? I look at the garage behind me but it’s gone. Panic and fear rushed inside me. I never learnt to bear with fear. I started running towards the palace. I hurried in, trying to seek help from random people, but I couldn’t understand them. I suddenly wished I paid more attention in French lessons. Just in time, I heard Marie-Antoinette say, ‘Let them eat cake!’. The French Revolution has begun.
I started to run again into a small alleyway, and I found a garage that looked exactly like the one I went into in the first place. I had completely forgotten that I got transported to France by a dingy garage, and hoping this one would take me back, I got in.
I stepped inside the garage, closed the door. It’s the eerie silence again. With another thud and crash, I opened the door again only to see the green grass, and the haunted building. My brother was sitting beside a tree, and I ran over to him. ‘Where were you? I crown you the king of hide and seek, I couldn’t find you at all!’ Harry exclaimed. ‘I went to France, back through time to the French Evolution.’ I explained. He didn’t believe me, but then again, who would?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!