I Broke My Leg

I was on my way to pick up my medication. I grabbed my keys and shoved them in my pocket and headed out the door. My feet quickly patted down the marble stairs and my thoughts were beaming. As I exited I saw the chemist across the street. With my prescription in hand, I bounded towards the crossing. I looked to the right making sure there were no cars. Then to the left. It seemed clear. I started crossing. That’s when I made the mistake. Suddenly out of nowhere a car zoomed over and crashed into me. I was kneeling as I felt the enormous car tyre roll over my right leg. The pain was so great I almost passed out. As I tried grounding myself I looked around and saw a group of girls on the other side of the road.
“HELP!” I screamed with all the energy I could manage.
Luckily it was enough. One of the girls turned around and I gestured for her to come over. She dashed over.
“I think I’ve broken my leg,” I panted “I need you to call an ambulance!”
“OK!” she said in a panic, grabbing her phone from her bag.
I was gasping for air because of my small panic. The girl was now having a conversation with what I assumed was a paramedic.
“What’s your name?” she asked me sweetly.
“Xavi,” I replied in the most normal way I could.
“Ok, please hurry!” she said, hanging up.
She rushed over to me.
“Are you ok?” she asked nervously
“Not really,” I replied, trying to hold in my pain.
Tears were rolling off my cheeks like Niagara falls.
“My name is Jodie by the way,” she said, putting out her hand and then realising her choice.
I decided to try and I put my hand out for her.
Soon after, the ambulance arrived. Still kneeling I waved at the driver. Two paramedics ran out of the van.
“Are you ok ma’am?” one of them asked me.
“No! I’m pretty sure my leg is broken,” I huffed, going back into a panic.
“We are going to need to straighten your leg out to get you in the ambulance,” the other said, calmly.
They started trying to move me.
“Wait!” I squealed. “I’m no where near ready.”
“Do you want some gas?” one of them asked.
“I want everything,” I said. “I want this to be as painless as possible.
They nodded at each other and went back to the ambulance. They came back with injections, pills and gasses galore. I sat back while they made me breathe things in and get injected. I was now so happy that I forgot the situation.
“Are you ready ma’am?”
“Uh-huh,” I said, not ready.
They grabbed my leg and straightened it out. In that moment was the most pain I had ever thought to experience. My tears would no longer stop. I was then laughing as I sat in the ambulance, finally safe.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!