Last Regret

She sat down, stunned, her hair flowing down past her shoulder. Simply hanging there. Why did this happen? She asked herself while staring at the letter. Her first friend, her past enemy. All gone.

She whimpered, with only silence to respond as comfort. Her grip tightened on the letter, as it begun to absorb her tears. The news of his death was simply dismissed by all, many believed he was downright evil and cold. Little do they know, that he was downright scared, alone and further broken.

Alyth stood up and looked out of her tower to the village below. Not even a funeral or anything, just a letter that I'm expected to be happy about. She started to walk around the room, she stopped at the door and she locked it, her image would be even worse if people realise she grieving his death. She leant on the frame of the door and slid down to the floor.

Alexander was just like me. Why am I claimed as a hero, if I caused his fate to be so horrendous and cold? She sat there pondering until she remembered what she did. She left him in a time of need, Alex finally opened up to Alyth, his need for escape in this crazy place, and the warnings of the leaders plans.

"We need a way that's not destructive, we just need to run away!" Alyth did think about his words, and run away on her own. He was left alone to cope for himself, he was punished for her actions. After all he was her overseer, and a friend. After that, he became cold and betrayed. When they met again it was in a fight, the rebellion versus the reign of the King, as cliché as it sound they won. Alex was never to be seen again.

It was a mistake, but unfortunately she can't repair this one. A change of heart could have made the world better. She was free to choose their destiny, yet she threw it away in a fit of fright. Alyth calmed herself down and got up, there may be no retakes but she might as well say a final sorry and goodbye.

The proclaimed 'hero' silently unlocked the door, and walked down the one path she chose. Avoiding all social contacts she made it to the pine forest where the soldiers dumped his body, the hollow husk he inhabited. The forest was quiet, all birds had been silenced. Alyth looked around the pines until she found a flower, a nice purple colour to compliment his blonde hair, and match his now slightly red, cloak. She moved Alexanders body to lie on his back and placed the sword on the centre of his chest pointed towards his legs, then placed the shield on top with the flower tucked behind his ear.

A tear escaped her eye. "I'm sorry, I could have made it better, but I didn't. I am no hero."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!