Warehouse 3000

“Good morning children! It’s 3rd of October, 3000!”
The loudspeaker voice can’t lighten my mood. I don’t have an identity. My blonde hair chopped to stubs. Number 5. There is one thing that gives me purpose. My red scarf. My parents gave it to me the day we were separated. I was dragged away and never saw them again.
“Let’s do something!” number 14 says.
“The guards won’t let us past the gates.” We’re trapped.
“11 o’clock tonight. We’re gonna sneak out.”
Number 14 has always been a troublemaker. Being trapped inside this cement block makes me want to move. I agree and watch the clock for the 23rd hour.
----
It’s dark, U.V. lights guide me. I meet 14 at the heavy door, a large wheel on it’s front.
“How are we going to open it?” I search.
“Easy, I’ve done it a thousand times.”
Two spins right, five to the left and it’s opened. 14 runs free and I follow him. Something is different. The sky isn’t black like it should be…it’s white.
We pass the park and pool where I used to play. I can’t help but feel a distant feeling run through me. Where is everyone?
“Look, I see something!” 14 is curious.
“What is it?” I call.
“An old warehouse. Let’s explore!”
He bolts rapidly and I chase 14 again.
----
We push the rusty door with all our might and get inside. It’s quiet and cold like the rest of the city. I scan the room and spot something in the far corner. I stray over. Figures under white cloth stand. I reach the first one and pull off the material. Big, black, dead eyes.
“They’re robots! Let’s play!” 14 is keen but I’m uneasy.
“Is this safe? Their eyes, they’re…it’s…”
“I don’t see the danger. It’ll be fun!”
I click the green button and robots awake, making beeping noises and moving their arms. 14 and I exchange glances and examine their metal limbs. They dance with us, just like real humans.
We decide it’s time to go.
“Leaving so soon?” one bot says.
“We want to play…” the other tilts it’s head creepily.
“So sorry, but we’re expected at home…” 14 lies.
“You are home.”
Suddenly, they grab us. I fight, but the mechanic grip is harsh. I see 14 struggle. The robot pins it’s chip to 14’s human chest. I watch the bot and boy morph into the body of each other. 14 is a robot. The grip intensifies and I’m losing. I stop and feel a thump in my chest and death over my eyes.
----
I check the warehouse to see if I’ve left anything behind. I see the scarf on the floor and wrap it around my neck. I look down at my number, 5, then back at the robots.
“Have fun in here.” I smirk at the child.
My screws still seem stiff and knees, metallic however, I feel the flesh on my arms. I’m free.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!