Last Moments

“Read it again!” Lucy faintly squeaked. Her eyes were half closed, and she only became weaker by the minute. Lucy knew exactly what was happening, she knew that it would be only a matter of time until she would be separated from her mum forever.
Jasmine’s lower lip trembled uncontrollably until only squeaks of fear emerged. “Once upon…” she closed her eyes as her emotions took over.
“Sorry to interrupt, may I speak with you for a moment?” The foreign voice echoed in the congested hospital hallway.
“Um, sure.” Jasmine sighed and slowly stood up, her back ached and her mouth was dry from reading. She carefully glided her hand over Lucy’s meek forehead and kissed her cheek. A pitiful kiss she would regret, if Jasmine had only known, she would have made it the longest, most passionate embrace anyone could ever imagine.
“She’s four years old! There must be something you can do!” Jasmine’s fists clenched tightly in frustration as her heart raced.
“I know that it must be hard for you, but the cancer is spreading and nothing is going to work anymore.” The nurse delivered the information. To the untrained eye, Simone appeared relaxed and cold-hearted while bearing this news. However, inside, Simone was only storing this pain, and the pain she had bottled up through years of delivering news to heartbroken parents. Little did anyone expect that later that night, the pain would overcome her, and Simone would take her own life.
“There’s no way I’m going to give up on her.” Jasmine’s voice had morphed from the voice of aggression, to a soft whimper, “she’s all I have left.” Jasmine felt all hope slip away into the abyss.
Their conversation was interrupted by an ear-piercing beeping, Simone knew exactly where it came from and darted towards room 251, closely followed by Jasmine. “251 is unresponsive, I repeat, 251 is unresponsive.” Simone worriedly repeated into the walky-talky.
Jasmine grabbed Simone’s shoulders and swung her backwards until they stared into each other’s eyes, “Is that all she is to you? Just another pointless number? By this point, Jasmine was screaming aggressively and attracting the attention of other distraught parents who eyed them in pity.
Simone relived what had only happened three months prior, and picked up her walky-talky again, “Lucy Mayer in room 251 is unresponsive, and someone needs to get over there right now!” Simone begun to panic, as she remembered what had happened to her own son in that very same room. Jasmine stopped and fell into a corner. She watched as doctors and nurses rushed into her daughters room. All sound faded, her vision blurred and her legs gave way. She begun to whimper as disheartened doctors and nurses drooped their heads and sulked in pity as they walked out.
“Oh Lucy…” she moaned softly as a single tear shed from pained her eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!