Kick

Her head slipped below the waves. Bubbles danced to the surface, greeting a blanket of see foam. She sunk, lower and lower into the abyss of unknown and darkness. Hair whipped around her body like vines. Body numb, she couldn’t kick, or flail; she had to succumb to the ice cold water that held her hostage. Fear stabbed into her like a dagger; puncturing her hope, and turning her mind off. The last, precious and tiny amount of air that remained in her lungs escaped.

The ocean had revealed to her its harsh punishments for those who ventured beyond the horizon. The girl had been carried by a rip, one of the fiercest and most unforgiving beings in the ocean, out where there was no hope, no golden beaches. There was only blue, waves and desolate vastness. She was merely yet another person to lose everything in the vast body of water of which they’d consoled in so deeply.

Her ribcage crushed into her lungs, receding into her body. The girl’s eyes started to close, as she thrashed, desperate for air. The thirst for oxygen took over her body, and a trance of panic replaced the numbness that had filled her.
“Help,” she screamed, but only bubbles answered.
“Help me!”
She wasn’t scared of the beasts that roamed beneath her in the darkness. Her fear was to rest at the bottom forever, trapped in a world in which she did not belong.

In desperation, she kicked, her energy decreasing. She slipped further into the seemingly bottomless ocean, further into the trap many had been ignorant enough to fall for. The blur of blue flashed before her eyes. Water flooded into her mouth. She had no objection to death anymore, so she didn’t try to slow its pace. She wished she would just drown, it was the only alternative left for her. Consciousness was slipping her grasp. Her lungs seemed to be shrinking.

Darkness veiled her vision. She was sinking, deeper and deeper, alone in the middle of the huge ocean. A fish swam by her heel. Her eyes flashed open out of instinct; her senses reviving. In a flurry of desperation and urgency, she kicked her legs. The surface of the water was nearing. Closer, closer. Her mind switched on. She swore she could hear a voice, distant but reassuring.
“Opal. Opal, come here.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!