Bad Breath

This is the second hottest summer I’ve ever experienced, and today, I’m spending it with the girl of my dreams. My girlfriend, Emily. We’ve been together for a year and six months, as she’s reminded me multiple times for our upcoming one-and-a-half-year anniversary; today. This is my first ever committed relationship, I have no experience what so ever when it comes to this kind of stuff. We’re spending it in the wide park by the ocean side, far away from everyone else who’s having a picnic, up a hill in the shade of a tall gum tree.
We lean against the tree, together, holding hands. Emi’s quite the affectionate type. She loves to hold hands, hugging, and what I fear most… kissing. Don’t get me wrong, I love the quick and light peck of her lips onto my cheeks that startle the resting butterflies in my stomach. But what I mean is the... French kind. I don’t know why but it scares me, what if I taste awful? What if… I’m not doing it right? My anxiety just takes too much of my mind. We agreed to not give each other gifts today but I’m going to give her the gift of... me? I will kiss her today, kiss her on the lips and do what needs to be done, to make this day different from all the other 547 and a half days. To hopefully send her over the moon. Already, my heart is pumping as fast as a drum solo at a concert. My palms are clammy, uncomfortably holding her hand. Can she feel the clamminess? Has she fallen so far in love with me that she doesn’t care? I DON’T KNOW! Okay, it’s time to do it. I turn my head and look at her. Her eyes are closed and her head is tilted upwards. I’m assuming she’s just trying to catch and feel a cool breeze; feel it against her smooth olive skin on her narrow face. “Yes?” Emi says.
I swear she has a third eye, it’s caught me off guard more than once. I notice a smirk slowly creeps into the corner of her mouth. How does she know? “nothing,” I say, “just enjoying the moment, enjoying what we have.”
I try and hide my motives, but she can read me like a book with her eyes closed. I hate it and I love it at the same time. “And what is it that we have?”
Okay, this is my time to shine, time to be as smooth as a waxed leg. “Happiness and more importantly… true love,” I say that as I lightly place my hand on her cheek.
She opens her eyes and faces me. Her smile widens and she stifles a laugh. “God, you are so cringe…” she gives me a warm smile like she always does, “I love you.”
I lean in slowly… so does Emi. I kiss her… and she tastes like the black plague. Oh well.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!