Technomagic

So much can be done with technology, in 2060 the advance in technology was so advanced it gave access to magic. Personal Magic Devices or PMD’s were used to read text thousands of characters long in a certain order to allow easy casting. Those who had either faster reflexes or processing skills were extremely powerful. However, magic can be dangerous no matter how beautiful. Magic was restricted to military and the Settemagic games was created, replacement of war the top 2 magic users of each continent was sent to compete. Union, Deuxes, Troisous, Quartredu, Cinqute, Sixante, Septium. Seven schools one per continent each teaching magic, by 2084.
Lilac Gray was a civilian, average height, blonde hair with icy blue eyes that seemed to pierce the soul, just one thing was different from a normal civilian. She practiced magic, with a photographic seeing a sequence only once she could recall and cast the spell. She was a pacifist, so she hid this ability going for a simple job as a shopkeeper. A new device called Magidetec had locked onto her and she was instantly placed in the Oceania continent school Union.
Lilac Gray is me; it was a stupid mistake now that I think about it, when a misfire resulted in a fellow classmate sending a phoenix of fire straight at me. I reacted instinctively pulling the first water spell that came to mind and casting the circle.
I remember them staring in shock, I hadn’t thought about the fact that my PMD was sitting inside my bag, unused. I was entered into a duel the next day by my teacher. I never followed rankings so I won the duel, then I found out they were the best caster in Oceania. So of course 18-year-old me was sent to participate.
The first round came; the other Oceania participant was already out. I was in the final match of the first round and I was against an Africa participant. The moment I was on the stage I realised he was a fire specialist. He cast first, as soon as the judge said to start a wave of flames flew towards me. Instantly I was casting, this time remembering my PMD, water floated around me before flying towards the wave, encasing it, then going colder and colder until an icy statue stood looking like fire to the smallest detail.
I cast, instantly sending water flying towards my opponent before he could register he was wet and the thin layer of water was turning to ice as strong as stone. The next day a mini-game was used to remove one competitor. I was in the final six, my opponent was a water user this time and Europe participant. I froze her spell proving just how powerful I had to be to control another casters spell. The spell covered her PMD forcing her to concede.
This left three of us to compete in the mini-game to decide the finalists. Pity, I never did show up…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!