Bad Dream

I woke up, startled. I turned over to see the time. 12:59 am. I saw my best friend Betty standing at the end of my bed, looking worried.
“Get up, now” her face nothing but a shadow in the darkness. I turned to my left, fiddling with the light switch that surrounded the lamp. I turned it on without a moment’s hesitation, except the light didn’t switch on.
“The power keeps going out” Betty whispered.
That’s when I noticed my surroundings. My room’s light flashing on and off every three seconds. I got out of bed, my baggy pyjamas swaying in the wind as I opened the windows. I saw the opposite building from my apartment. Its lights were flashing, as if trying to tell me something important. People down below started to scream, and that’s when the power went out. I ran towards Betty’s silhouette.
“We need to get out of this building, fast”, I screamed as I grabbed hold of Betty’s hand and dragged her towards the door.
“IM SCARED” screamed Betty as we stumbled down the stairs. “I don’t know what’s going on!”
“We’ll be fine” I replied.

1:10 am
I ran up to the nearest person.
“What’s going on?” I asked them without a hesitation.
He turned around and looked at me, scared. “I I don’t kn-ow, I fe-fear it is so-methi-ng bad.” His voice was harsh, and stuttered.

1:15 am
A muffled scream was heard before a Plane came into sight, its lights flashing on and off. Something was standing on top of it. Its body full of muscle and looked as hard as rock. Its burnt-orange eyes were filled with rage and anger. His hand looked like they were burnt, and its fingers- six-inches at least were covered in slime- or is it mucus? Whatever it was, the “creature” didn’t look impressed. Its sharp yellow teeth looked fake. In its right hand was a person dangling in the air, a woman with dark-brown hair and her makeup smeared across her face. She looked unhealthy, her face pale and murky, and her body thin and long- almost like the life was sucked out of her.
It screamed. Its fiery-eyes lighting the night sky with a faint glow. The plane turned upside, allowing the creature to dig its horrific claws into it. I heard faint screams coming from inside the plane.
Everyone ran for cover as the plane crashed into a nearby park, its remains blown up into a million pieces as it exploded on impact. Everybody, in sync, turned around, looking at the creature who was watching from afar. It ran. Towards me. Its eyes looking deep into mine, into my soul.
I couldn’t move. It came closer, its face touching my sweaty forehead. “BOO!”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I woke up, trembling and sweating. I turned towards the clock on my bedside table. 1:03 am. I noticed something different. I looked up to see my lights flashing.
And that’s when the power went out.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!