Madness

“The human mind is truly the scariest thing. It is its own enemy. It destroys the host slowly from the inside, turning it into its own demon. Eventually becoming everyone’s greatest fear. Ruining everything good around it. They call it the MADNESS.”
These were the words engraved into Jaspers mind from the day he could talk.
“Report anything suspicious, anything that looks different.”
Jasper slouched down the hall. Staring at the lifeless husks that surrounded him.
“We have an MAD in hallway 63.”
Jasper stared around, a commotion was coming from the hallway the robotic voice had just said.
“Ugh, get off me!”
Two guards seemed to be struggling with a girl.
A girl Jasper new relatively well.
“Someone help!”
Jasper moved towards the girl at a fast speed.
“Help!”
The guard was near now; Jasper could feel his heart beat rise.
“SMACK!”
Jasper had pummelled the guard hard in the chest, giving time for the girl to run. Jasper could feel strong arms grab him, he looked up and saw the girl.
“Run!” She shouted.
And so he did…
“eeh, uooooff.” Came Jaspers rasping breath.
“Here, in here!” Yelled the girl, pointing at a hole in the wall.
Jasper crammed in, moving to the side to let her in. He could hear the guard’s footsteps.
“Shhhhhh,” she whispered in his ear.
They waited, 10 minutes, 15, and 20.
The girl let out a sigh, “You can turn on the lights now.”
As soon as she said that a light was turned on and he saw that she was surrounded by a small group of boys and girls.
A boy, who appeared to be the leader got up a spoke to Jasper. “Welcome to the Free-Landers, a group of anonymous hackers and what they call MADS that aim to destroy the people who control the silo’s population.”
“Who…are...you?” Jasper stammered.
“Ugh, I just told you! We are M-A-D-S!” The teenager said with frustration.
Jasper scrambled back, if these people were MADS it was guaranteed that he was going to die.
“But we aren’t like what they tell you.” The boy continued on, noticing Jasper’s retreat. “MADS are the people who have found true love with each other, the ones who recognize the beauty in the world. You obviously have fallen in love with our girl Isla here and I can tell she has a connection with you.”
“Here at the Free-Landers we follow a set of rules, Elijah here will explain them as you go through your training. Once your training is complete you may reunite with Isla. Understood?”
Jasper nodded. He was actually beginning to believe these people.
5 weeks later he was free to go.
From that day on, a new code was inscribed into his head:
“The human mind is truly the most amazing thing. It has its own beauty no matter how big the demons. It finds the excitement in the smallest things. It brightens everything bad around it. We call it the BEAUTY.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!