Never Forget

I promised Mummy 22 years ago I'd be safe and I am. But not in my heart. Not without her.
My name is Afia, I’m 12 years old and live with my mother. I grew up in Syria . We were always hiding but we were happy. At least until they found us. We were transported to the seaside. That’s where mother told me…
“Afia, I need you to do something for me,” mother weeps trying to hide that she’s crying.
“Anything,” I reply, shaking. Mother takes a deep breath.
“I need you to take a boat to Australia.”
“Yes we will get out of here and go to Australia.”
“NO!” mother interrupted, “you're going alone.”
I stare at mother trying to work out what she just said. I start hyperventilating. Mother pulls me into her arms and gives me a huge hug.
“We will be fine. I’m catching another boat soon,” mother says. I close my eyes and weep into her chest. But I don’t disobey her. I nod then start crying again.
“Baby, you will grow up there and get a good job, find love and soon enough forget about us.”
“I could never forget about you mummy,” I sob.
I reached the boat still crying. Once on the boat I sat down along with the other 200 people on the small raft. At night we had to huddle together to keep warm and I would cry myself to sleep and dream about Mummy.
We have been sailing for two weeks and three days with not much food or water. I make a friend with another girl called Pania, who is 10 years old. She is with her mother on the boat, also going to Australia. They offer to look after me when we arrive there, but I have to refuse.
One day Pania and I were talking about our life in Australia, when she started coughing really badly. One of the parents took care of her and tried to save her. In the end, Pania lost her battle and we don't even know why she died. We all had a little funeral and tipped her body off the boat into the deep, dark blue ocean. Pania’s mother was screaming for her child to come back. I tried to ignore the screaming.
“Pania come back to Mummy,” her mother repeated every night in bed and every night I couldn't help cry for my mummy. I told Pania's mum stories to help take her mind off Pania. Then finally, we arrived.
Australia was so beautiful and safe. People didn’t respect me at first, but as I grew up people appreciated me.
I still mutter in my sleep, “Come back Mummy, I need you.”
But Mummy never came back and I am now 34 years old and have 2 children of my own. I will never forget Syria, Pania, her mother nor the trip that saved me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!