War Life

Bombs were flying, like birds in the sky, but none of them hit me. The trenches were damp and mouldy, covered in blood of the other soilders. I ran towards the latrine the deepest darkest part of the trenches. I cried. All my thoughts were bubbling like a volcano ready to erupt. They swirled again and again in my mind, covering my brain like poison. Why did I leave? Why can't I sleep? Why am I scared? I cried and cried and cried until the latrine was full of water. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore. Suddenly a great pain struck my head. My world started to fade away, away, away.

When I woke up, I wasn't in the tear drenched latrine or that I could make out. My eyes had blurred up and the world around me didn't seem clear. My had a stabbing in my head, like a knife slashing me with every beat my heart made. To people came over they looked mean and cruel with a evil smirk on their faces. The men whispered to each other and all that I could hear was “What should we do with him?”

That night one of the men said, “Get up lad you coming with me”. I stood up as quick as obedient dog. The man took me outside, he had brown hair with a scar running his cheek. “Peel the potatoes, NOW.” I ran to find a peeler but I was so dazed that I tripped over a stone. “Incompetent mess.” I heard the man whisper.
The next few days the man with the scar made me work my butt out. I was cleaning the latrines then was peeling stinky horrible potatoes. Then one night an idea came to me. I sneaked of my tent thing,but suddenly some yelled “Someone's escaped, catch him CATCH HIM!” I ran to my heart content, I ran until my legs were melted jelly, into a cave.

And that's where I'm now, my dear rat soon I will, I will.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!