UC

Accepting this job I was cautiously optimistic. An isolated area bordered by trees came into view, with streetlights and fairy lights lit up through the night. This small town is located in the mountains and has a rustic atmosphere. It is known for its museums and diverse populations. When my family were informed of my coming here, the idea was resented and they told me stories of the people residing here and passing visitors, that people change in precarious ways, unexplained disappearances and other strange incidents have occurred over the last few years.

As the train pulled up at the station, the sense of fulfilment had engulfed me, the rustic look of this little town was intriguing. A singular fountain sat in the heart of it all, water spouting out in different directions. The water was given a golden glow, emanating from the fairy lights which were wrapped around each tree. I was truly mesmerised by it all.

It took a little while to find the hotel that my colleagues had booked for me until the cottage I was promised was ready. Even in the thick rain, the hotel looked fairly old and in terrible condition. The yard is large and overgrown. The interior was done in dark colours that remind one of a Tim Burton film, with greasy walls and creaky floorboards, the whole place smelt of lavender - which didn't surprise me. The owner was an old woman who looked to be in about her late 70s when her wrinkles were embedded in her face like the trenches of WWI

"I would like to check in ma'am"

She peered at me over her small spectacles, giving me a sweet smile and nodding her head gently. As I was signing my name, a bell hanging over the front door sounded. A young man had stepped into view. Examining his face was like staring at a painting or sculpture, his chiseled jaw and smile was captivating. His deep brown eyes were like an ocean I could drown in and had matched his rugged soaked through hair.

"Hi Mrs. Ravensbee, had the new Officer arrived."

Realising he was talking about me I replied shaking his hand

"Yes...that's me, Officer Kristen Polmear"
"Hi, Detective Jake Losberne at your service..."

He must have noticed my suitcases beside me as he picked up the larger one saying;

"Here let me help you with that"
"Thanks" I said as a blush flormed on my cheeks hidden from his view.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!