Yearning

“Welcome back, I’ve missed you.” She reached out; her soft touch kissed my skin sending icy shivers creeping up my spine, awakening me, like a daisy stands at the warm caress of the golden sun on its shoulders. Although she was cold, I didn’t pull away, her embrace comforted me, slow, gentle and rhythmic, I felt myself let go of the world. It was just she and I. I couldn’t look away, she was breath taking. No canvas could express her beauty. Her dress floated on forever, an elegant array of blues and greens hugging her body. I breathed in the crisp morning air and smiled to myself, it was as if we were all that existed.
I remember the first time we met, I was much younger then, a lamb in all its innocence, and have matured since, but it seems she hasn’t aged at all. From the first time I laid my eyes on her, she became a thief of my thoughts. Each night in bed, before sleep trapped me, I used to dream of being in her arms. I would count down the days till we could once again meet. I feared she’d forget me, or worse replace me, but I soon learned I had been tattooed into her heart as she had been in mine. She was always waiting with open arms, ready to embrace me.
“Follow me.” I snapped out of my thoughts and must’ve looked rather confused for she laughed at me, a silvery sound, but not delicate, like rain on a tin roof. Longingly I watched her leave, my heart pushed me towards her, my legs ached to follow, what was I waiting for? Giving into the desire, I ran after her.
Finally I caught up, but in my haste I stopped too suddenly, I fell into her. As I regained my footing, a blanket of uneasiness crept over my body. I turned to see her tower over me, anger radiating from her every aspect; I was left trembling in motionless confusion. She stared with glassy eyes, straight through me, then expression unchanged, she pushed me down. I felt no pain, only panic, for she held me there. I kicked and struggled to no avail. Soon my chest was tight and a fire raged in my lungs, for she held me so I couldn’t breathe. Black consumed my vision; stolen was the light and colour that fed my eyes. So I let go. Savouring the remaining air in my lungs, I began falling from life. But she wouldn’t let me. Gently she pushed me up, until my lips once again accepted the intake of oxygen. My lungs drank it in like alcohol, no matter how much I got I needed more. Eventually my breaths evened out and my heart rate slowed to a steady rhythm. She tried to hug me, but I shook her off. I turned and walked away, secretly hoping she would follow… and she did.
She grabbed at my ankles, her touch desperately begging me to turn around. A stinging sensation rose from my left leg. I searched for the source of the pain and discovered that blood had engulfed my limb like an ivy vine does an oak. A fearsome sight, but with further examination I realised, it was merely some shallow grazing that had exposed an escape for the rich, red fluid trickling from the abrasion. But even as I hurt, I felt her genuine heartache. I fell to the ground where she lay. She wrapped herself around me, whispering, “I’m sorry… so, so sorry.” I let her cleanse my wound, reassuring her that she was forgiven; then I pulled myself to my feet and gave her a sidelong glance. My eyes told her goodbye. She gave me a small waving gesture. With a heavy heart I turned away, planting temporary footprints in the sand, leaving the ocean behind…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!