Saffron

"Saffron"

It was a windy Saturday morning and as I looked out the window the soft palm trees were being knocked over onto to the lush emerald green grass. I was alone in my home - my dad had died four years earlier in a car accident and my mum had a full time job as a vet and only visited occasionally.
I pulled out my phone and overnight I had 73 missed calls from #### who had the number 0591271634. They called again and again until I eventually got so frustrated and picked up. I shouted:
''What do you want!?'' The reply I got was pretty predictable – silence, then #### hung up on me.
I was thinking of #### all through the day and it haunted me through the night. The next day I woke up to the howling, hailing rain and my clock read 5.59am. I went down and got myself a bowl of cereal. A short time later, I woke up not knowing I had fallen asleep on my table down stairs. There was a bang on the door and I opened it but no-one was there. Later that Sunday night I went to bed. Cold wet tears dripped down my face. I had not seen my Mum for 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS!!! I was worried. "What if she never comes back!?" I cried to myself.
''What if Saffire? What if?'' said a strange voice. Could that be Mum?
''She would never do that!!'' I said to myself.
"Who are you? And I would ask how you knew my name, but it's Saffron not Saffire'.'
Then the door creeped open - someone was entering. It was Mum!!!
''Mum was it you all along?''
''Yes it was'' said Mum.
''How come you did not know my name, why are you ### and why did you knock then hide?''
''One at a time! Firstly, I got confused about your name because when you were born I wanted to call you Saffire Grace Rolly but your Dad did not want that and I refused to change it while Dad was alive. I've always thought of you as Saffire.'
"Oh", I said. 'Well why are you #### and why is you're number 0591271634?'' I asked.
My mum replied ''My phone smashed so I had to call from the office and they don’t like people knowing their identity and….''
''Why?'' I interrupted.
"…that’s a story for another time'' said Mum.
''Then why did you knock then run away?'' I asked.
Mum said, "Well, the first time I didn't want you to be overwhelmed so I knocked then said to myself "She will be too scared" so I changed my mind and hid.''
''What about the second time?'' I asked.
"The second time I was ready to do it but I tripped and hit my head on the way down. You didn't see me lying on the ground in the dark, but I'm here now and I love you!''

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!