Early Flight

Excellence Award in the 'Write Here Write Now 2017' competition

I woke up one morning, looking for the clock. I looked down under me where my bed was supposed to be. I realized that I was floating in midair! "Mum? Dad? Anyone?!" I hollered through the weird mist. I walked on thin air and looked for a sign of life, or anything. My teeth were chattering due to the cold winds. "Where am I meant to be?" I said to myself. I touched my head, relieved that I still existed. My hands were trembling in the blank space. Just as I was going to drop to the floor and sob, a big wind blew me off the ground. I looked behind me to see what was going on and unbelievably, I saw a 2D stick person flying through the air screaming uncontrollably. Another stick person was riding a bike, his eyes squinting. It looked like he was trying to control the wind with his stick arms; I think he thought Star Wars was real. I flew through hundreds of 2D stick people waving for help. I banged my head on something, maybe nothing. My head was spinning and all I wanted was my bed!
After that, I did not know what happened. The next thing I remembered was that strange blurry stick people were carrying me on a hospital bed. The stick people were calling for help and they kept saying long sentences that I did not understand. I bolted right up. Off the bed, I went and I ran through the crowd. I looked back and saw stick people chasing after me. I looked straight and ran. I did not know why but somehow I thought that this whole thing was a dream. I kept on running until I fell off a cliff. Suddenly a huge tornado blew against my face. I screamed and found myself lying on a pile of graphite (pencil lead).
For some reason, I started crying. It was as if I ruined my own creation. I decided to use the pencil lead to redraw the whole thing that I just saw. I drew the cities, the rivers, cars, trees, birds, and last of all, stick people! Finally, I heard honking of cars, birds tweeting and most importantly of all, myself... Wait, where am I supposed to be exactly? Why am I drawing in the middle of a test? Please wake up, me! I beg me! "Zahra! Zahra!" Said a high-pitched impatient voice. "What, who is that?", "Zahra! WAKE UP!" hurried the voice again.
"BANG!" I saw my Maths teacher, Miss Skreechly above me. My friends crowded over me. My chair flipped over me. I got up casually and pulled my seat upright. "Quickly, we mustn't miss our flight!" Mum reached for the luggage and showed me the International Departure gate. Oh no, why was I dreaming about having an exam!
The End.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!