Into The Bush

Ben couldn’t wait as he sat in a car, Constable Helen on his left and Constable James on he’s right. He glanced out of the window lush, green farmland and a scattered house or two here and there.
“How are you feeling Benny?” questioned Constable Helen also glancing out of the window.
“It will be better than the orphanage,” she reassured.
Ben had a flashback of the orphanage cockroaches swarming the floors and a large cane being whacked across his right hand.
“Here we are!” exclaimed James.
“The house of the Petersons.”
It wasn’t a mansion, the front porch needed a makeover. The home looked as though it was inhabitable.
“Hello!” came a loud deep voice.
“Good evening Mr. Peterson,” replied Helen.
“I have Mr. Ben Hunt here with me,” added James.
“Where is he?” asked Mr. Peterson eagerly.
A tall man with sky blue eyes and black spectacles appeared. He looked ecstatic to meet his visitor. Ben noticed he was so very close to being bald with only a small patch of grey hair.
“Oh Ben, thank God you’ve come,” he exclaimed.
“Well I’m glad you’re satisfied,” said James.
“Very much,” replied Mr. Peterson followed by a wide smile of bright white teeth.
“There’s Mrs. Peterson,” pointed Mr. Peterson. She was a short and stubby woman smoking a long pipe.
“You can call her Rebecca if you like, and me Harry,” he said.
Rebecca grimaced then look down at the floor. “You must be exhausted, let me escort you to your room,” obliged Harry.
As they stepped across the threshold the wooden floor boards began to creak, they continue to creak and groan all the way to the first and last bedroom of the house.
“Call if you need anything,” instructed Harry.
You could tell the room had not been occupied for quite a while. The bed was covered in dust, however there seemed to be a hot water bottle in the centre. Sitting on the bed Ben pondered that Harry had been friendly but Rebecca seemed more aloof, maybe she wasn’t so keen on a foster child. Weighing his options Ben thought it was best to leave her alone.
The next day Ben didn’t wake up to the sound of birds chirping or sausages being fried on a pan, but to someone screaming. He ran out to find the source of the noise. There was Harry lying on the grass in a deep sleep never to awaken. There, also was Rebecca scrawled on the floor screaming at the sight of her dead husband. The days swirled quickly after that landing on the funeral.
After the funeral Rebecca was more distant.
“Guess you’re going to have to back to the orphanage,” said Rebecca breaking the silence.
“No way am I going back to that orphanage!” yelled Ben.
“Yes you are, do you think I want you?” asked Rebecca.
“I’m treated like scum there, I get whipped for answering a question correctly and there’s a group of kids who come to bully me every time there isn’t a teacher around,” argued Ben.
Rebecca seemed a little taken back and Ben smiled in triumph.
“What do you want to do then?” she asked.
“I don’t want to be with you, so maybe we could find some of my relatives,” Ben suggested.
“Good idea, then I won’t have to look after you and you won’t have to go to the orphanage,” she agreed.
“Who are my relatives,” asked Ben.
“Have a look, the orphanage sent me your birth certificate!” said Rebecca.
Snatching the crumpled paper Ben's eyes devoured the page. Lifting up his head he said “Mathew… Mathew I’ve always liked that name!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!