Climb

Clutching frantically, I gripped and nearly fell to near certain death in the icy and unwelcoming sea below me. I couldn't stop now. I had to climb. Wind was knocking me off balance as I reached out for a ledge to grab. Birds above me were screeching as if they knew something terrible was about to happen. Despite their cries, I continued to make my way up the rocky surface.
My hiking boots weren't helping at all. The soles kept on slipping wherever I placed my feet, and my fingertips were beginning to go numb from the cold. If only I had told somebody where I was going before I went on my trek, then they would've realised I hadn't returned home. Instead, I went without telling a soul and completely forgot my phone. Then I slipped on some wet grass which landed me many feet down the side of a cliff. Congratulations Imogen. You could have killed yourself. The cliff had a few places for me to hold onto as I made my way up. I released one of my legs from a narrow space in between the cliff wall and moved my arm up to reach for something. I seized the nearest thing I could feel, in my case, a branch. I hurled myself up to find the top of the cliff wasn't very far. My palms were very wet with sweat and my eyelids were refusing to stay open in the weather. My body wanted to give up, let go, fall from the cliff like a ragdoll and hit the water and probably die from the impact. But I knew I mustn't. I had gotten too far.
I ignored the horrendous pain in my body and extended my arm. I gripped a rough piece of rock, and instantly winced with discomfort. I barely missed the sight of blood on my wrist as I fought tears from my eyes. The pain was too much. I was never going to escape this. Why did I even decide to go on this hike in the first place? If I hadn't, I wouldn't be in any trouble. I tried not to think about anything, and cleared my mind. Right now, was a matter of life and death. I needed to think wisely.
I was concentrating hard on deciding where to move to next that I hadn't noticed the sky darken, and the clouds turn a deep grey. I cursed. One single raindrop fell onto my hand. I looked up and sighed with relief. Wet grass had been dripping on me. Wait, wet grass? That had to mean I was very close to the top. I cheered and began to climb with enthusiasm. I scrambled over the top of the edge and fell with a thud on the drenched grass. Finally, oh finally, I was back on real land. From now on, I silently said to myself, never go on hikes after rain. I sighed. Thank goodness, I could climb.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!