Hindsight

Heartbroken and alone.
His wife? Gone!
She was as sweet as honey.
He shouldn't have yelled; he shouldn't have pushed.
10 years have vanished since she had died.
Now here he sits on a hard, wooden bench, every Anzac Day to say, "Hello" to her once again.
Pink and yellow mist appears around him; a frosty shiver trickles down his spine.
Her grave, he pondered. It was gone!
Devastation hit him as his eyes filled with crystal clear tears. They slowly dribble down his rosy red cheeks.
"Why did I let her go?" he whispers.
His mysterious, magical mind can imagine her sitting beside him, clenching his hand, but he knows... he is all alone.
"l should've been the one standing at the front, saving her life instead! Not my own."
Instead she was just left. All on her own on the dusty battlefield.
A tear trickled on the pavers below
"That should have been me..."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!