Grace's Library Book

5 years ago, Edna the librarian loaned a book to Abigail. Soon after, Abigail disappeared.
(5 years later)
"Be careful with that book, Grace," said Edna, "and, say hello to Abigail." Confused, Grace started walking home. She read the first few pages. She was so engrossed in the story that she was literally sucked into the book! Trapped. Lost.
Grace walked around. She found a shrine, then a scroll. She picked it up. It was a riddle. Grace thought it might be a clue about how she could get home. It said,
'What has roots we cannot see? Taller than trees, up, up it goes, but it never grows?'
Grace took a few minutes to solve the riddle and when she did, she headed towards the mountain where she found another shrine. There was another riddle,
'Well done, you've made it to two, here's another riddle, your next clue. What always runs but never walks? Often murmurs, never talks. Has a bed but never sleeps and has a mouth but never eats?'
Grace took a while to think. This one was harder, but eventually, she ran down to the river. Grace found another shrine. The clue said,
'You're doing well, and you've made it to three, look closely, so you can see. What can run though it has no legs to be seen? Possesses no heat, yet does have steam. Has no voice to let words out, but from far away, you can still hear it shout?'
Grace looked for the start of the river. She immediately knew where the next clue was. Grace ran to the waterfall, where searching, she found the next shrine. The scroll said,
'Congratulations! Nearly the end, go to this place and you'll find your friend. A pile of words, jackets of hordes, take a quick look, in the place of a book.'
Grace thought about it for a while. She suddenly realised what the answer was. "The library," Grace muttered to herself. She saw the library in the distance and ran towards it as fast as she could. Bursting through the doors, only to find Edna tying up a girl.
"Help me! Please!" pleaded the girl. Grace couldn't believe her eyes, as she ran towards them.
"Stop! What are you doing?!" shouted Grace, she was now pulling at the rope that was tied around the girl.
"Oh, hello Grace! I thought you wouldn't make it this far. I thought you would've got stuck in my book like Abigail here!" said Edna.
"You're Abigail?" Grace asked the girl. Abigail nodded frantically. Grace shoved Edna and untied Abigail. They both started running away, with Edna chasing them.
"Read the last page!" cried Abigail. "Now!" They both read the final page aloud and suddenly returned home. They slammed the book closed, trapping Edna inside.
"Grace, throw the book on the ground!" commanded Abigail. She threw the book as hard as she could. It exploded into a million pieces, ensuring Abigail and Grace were free at last.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!