Particularly Me!

I didn’t know what to do? I have never done anything like this. Who would've known that there would be so many people at a celebration for 'Cancer Children Who Survived'. They were all looking at me!
My name is, April Vandetta, I am sixteen years old and I live in Amsterdam, where my favourite Author lives, or as I like to call him, my best friend, although I have never met him.
I was in the midst of the crowd, however, I was the centre of attention. There were children looking at the tubes up my nose laughing. I was embarrassed and ran out of the park.
Eventually my parents found me and gave me a huge lecture on why you should never leave anywhere by yourself and do you know the definition of kidnapping?
A couple of weeks later I went to the hospital for a check-up (this happens every year). I got the results a week later. I looked at the sheet of paper curiously, I opened it end I was speechless! It said I didn't have long until I will die.
My parents were with me and when they heard the news, they knelt down on the floor chanting loud prayers. I looked at them and started crying, I couldn't stop thinking about that one shoot of paper, those few words! Maybe it was just my time to die, maybe I belong in heaven?
I woke up the next morning feeling upset so to get my mind off things, I started reading a book that I have already read before, but for some reason it didn't seem to work. Is this supposed to be a sign, have no idea?
Considering now that I am going to die, I have a bucket list that I must complete according to my mother. I didn't really want to do it, but I want to make my parents proud and happy.
First on the bucket list is to go to a museum and technically all of the jobs are to do with art, so I am not going to go into much detail with you.
Seven weeks later when I was finished my bucket list,
I was in my bed, I couldn't feel my face, I couldn't feel anything actually. My eyes were bloodshot and my face was as red as a cherry tomato, I was gasping for my breath as if I was in a pool drowning. My parents heard me, they came rushing in, one after the other calling the nearest Ambulance...
Beep, beep, beep! I asked my mum where I was and before she could answer, I could remember this place in a blink. It was the hospital! My parents were sitting two centimetres away from me waiting for me to wake up, it was getting to the stage where they were about to let me go.
I couldn't believe it! I survived, but I can't believe mum and dad were about to give up and let me die... But now I am fine, I still got tubes up my nose and still have to go for a check-up every year. I don't care about my cancer anymore, as long as I have you kids around, I'm more than fine.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!