Opal

Beads of sweat dripped off my forehead, the sun was glaring in my face. I had decided to take the dogs for a walk, but stuck to the creek side because it was shadier.
Creeeeeak, I opened the gate slowly as I was already exhausted from the sun. Ten minutes into the walk, the dogs were panting, their tongues lolling out the side of their mouth.
There was a rustle in the big, dead, brown bush across from me. Suddenly, a cute fluffy, white bunny hopped past us.
"Grrrr," the dogs snarled as they chased the bunny across the paddock. I couldn't believe that they had the energy to chase it that far! After the dogs realised they weren't going to catch the bunny and had stopped, I began the treacherous walk to them. They were so full of adrenaline that they were digging up the hard dry earth. As I advanced towards the dogs, I heard a clinking noise. When I reached them, I saw glass gleaning in the afternoon sun. I picked up the dusty glass bottle. I tried to uncork it but the cork wouldn't budge. I tried and tried then finally, pop! The cork came out. I reached inside the bottle and pulled out an old and brown piece of paper. I unravelled it slowly...
"X marks the spot. Jock, Spencer we should be here." "Woof," grunted Jock.
"What is it buddy?" I asked him as I wandered over to investigate what he was barking at. There was a hole there, bigger than a wombat hole much bigger. It was large enough to fit a fully grown adult. Then I remembered Grandpa telling all of us grandkids about the old opal mine that was on this farm, but he never told us where it was and now I think I found it. I decided I would have to go down it, even though I really didn't want to. I slid down the scorching, hot hole. Wham! My feet hit the bottom. I looked around; it was a relief to be in the cool, damp earth down here. I heard a whimper from above and I realised that I had left the dogs in the sweltering, hot sun. I clambered back up the hole, picked up both dogs and sild back down the hole, only to be relieved by the cool air again.
There was a shovel leaning against the damp soil wall. I looked at the puppies, they looked at me, I knew that I would have to dig. I picked up the shovel and started. Eventually the dogs started to as well. After a while of the two dogs and me digging, I heard the same clinking noise of the dog's paws on glass, stone, concrete and wood. I went over to inspect and saw a beautiful violet opal. I was over the moon because it would be able to buy food and water for my family and the animal stock because we had the biggest drought in 15 years.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!