Venice At Midnight

It was midnight, rain was dripping down from the sky. Ellie was awake huddled up to keep herself warm. Her snowy blonde hair tied up in a blue satin bow, she had pale skin and she had the ability to see kindness in everyone even when others couldn't see it.
She stared out of her bay window. It was very gloomy and dark, and quite frankly miserable, but then out the corner of her eye, she saw something dancing around on top of the murky water of the canal next to a splendid gondola that looked truly luxurious with its red glossy finish. In short, it looked simply grand.
She picked up her pink fleecy blanket that her grandmother made her, then sauntered down the staircase, taking great care not to step on the third step (it creaked) she slowly opened the door with the silver engraved handle of the doorknob... Then to her disbelief, her eyes widened so you could see the whites all around.
Dancing happily on a lilypad, was a water nymph. It waved at her then dove into the water, like a dolphin and then it flew away, before it was completely gone it gestured at her again, so naturally she followed it. Ellie soon found herself in the middle of St Mark's Square. Somehow it was different, the faded colours looked freshly painted and the stone steps leading down to the canal were so shiny that you could see your own reflection crystal clear.
The golden winged lions and horses looked as if they were made of solid gold and they were polished to perfection and all of the brickwork was dappled. The brickwork looked like a rainbow, it was truly a magical sight. She then realised it would soon be dawn, but she made a promise to her new friends that she would visit them every week at midnight so that she could have many more magical adventures.
On her way home, she went down a lantern lit alleyway.
She could feel the cold night air against her thin night dress and the breeze of the wind against her face she was almost home... as she strolled down the alley, she thought how happy it made her feel, she would return for another night of adventure but she had reached the front of her house.
Slowly opening the door, she crept up the staircase and into her small, secluded room. As she fell into her bed (it felt like she was on a cloud) she dozed off. The ocean took great bites out of this charismatic city and it slowly sank into the murky depths of the ocean. The nymphs lay on lilypads with moss blankets to keep themselves warm and started to snore softly. Soon everything was back to the way it was, the buildings old and dilapidated. The lions and horses began to fade. But this magic still exists every night at midnight.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!