The Pain Of Love

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The smell of petrichor filled the air, radiating form the Earth, causing a nostalgic environment. Images flashed through his mind: seagulls squeaking as waves crashed, the applause following a chorus of ‘Happy Birthday’, the dull glow of embers as the last goodnights were offered. Images that were once happy, now a source of pain. 

Bright green eyes flashed before him, drilling holes of grief into his heart. Beads of sweat painted his forehead. No night would ever be the same without her. Clutching his pillow and Turing on his side, he attempted once more to sleep. His eyes fell shut. Her face flashed into his mind. The same green eyes, now accompanied by a smile. The electric sparks that filled his body every time she touched his hand. The calm that emanated from within her, despite the raging storm, all sliced in half by a flash. She fell to the ground, eyes clouding over. Her chest heaved as she took her last breath. How nature could be so cruel, he did not know. The way it could take her away, in one simple flash of lightning.

Light filtered through the curtains, marking another day. Another hour, another moment without her. How he lived, he did not know. He wished for her, every part of her. He wished for her warmth, for her calm. He wished for her reassuring presence to allow him to sleep. 

No longer would he look in the mirror as he brushed his teeth. For the mirror reflected someone else; someone incomplete. The mirror reflected a story of life and then great loss. The pain of it all a little too great. And yet, he lived on. 

They say life is short, but this was more than life. This was his power, his inspiration and determination. This was his courage to move, to work, to do and to live every day. And now all that remained was a lifeless shell of the man that was. They say love is great, but this is far from it. Love was the cause of his anguish; his soul being torn apart. His love for her, so deep, was causing his suffering. And yet all that he did and all that he does, come back to her. Everything comes back to those shining green eyes, his first true love. 

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!