Killer

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The night was solemn as it blew out a bitter breath.
Like a shadow in the dark, she moved with a surreptitious grace, stopping in front of her childhood home. The wind stirred her hair, flyaway strands brushing her cheekbones and a cold, cold smile distorted her delicate, feminine features.
The few happy years she spent in this house were all but a flicker of a candle flame. She remembered guitar strings, her father’s pensive smile and her mother’s vanilla perfume, a fleeting moment as if through camera lenses.
She walked inside, fingers caressing the ivory handle of the knife in her belt as the darkness lured her into its cryptic embrace. A shift in the air saw the knife fly out of her hands with a ferocious speed, burying into the wall of her old bedroom and tenderly kissing her target’s throat.
The young man was bounded and gagged, helplessly watching his own wretched fate unfold. Her chilling blue eyes met his and she inhaled her euphoria hungrily – heaven had finally answered her prayers.
And so, out came her final weapon, its unforgiving barrel pointed directly into the cruel eyes of her own brother.
She pulled the trigger, her heart halting in its erratic beats.
But her brother didn’t slump forward like she expected, instead grunting as the bullet grazed his shoulder. His breath misted over in the coolness of the night.
Frustrated, she lifted the gun once again –
"Forgiveness is the knife in your back
Pull it out and set it aside
Do not use it to hurt anyone else
No matter how they hurt you."
Out of the clear blue, her father’s words came back to her and the moment of hesitation stirred the little goodness left in her heart. And so she dropped the gun and rushed to cradle her brother’s wilting silhouette as the life leaked out of him, brother and sister hidden in the darkness of the night.
A second gunshot cut through the silence and with blurry eyes, she saw the weapon fall out of her brother’s hands.
Betrayal took hold of her heart as blood trickled through her fingers out of the wound in her stomach. She slowly lowered herself onto her brother’s chest, releasing the disappearing tendrils of a monster’s fury and smiling because she found the heart to understand.
An eye for an eye – it was what her brother lived by.
Time didn’t stop when the lives of Leah and James Anderson were marked with death’s inky stain. But as the moon turned her mournful face towards where their bodies laid, she whispered, along with the wind –
“The world will be better tomorrow.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!