Storm Rescue

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

One dark stormy night, Zoe could not get to sleep because the thunder was roaring and the lightning was flashing. All of a sudden, a noisy crack of thunder came and Zoe screamed.
She ran into her parent’s room but they were asleep, they had not heard the noise of the storm.
Then followed another crack of thunder and she screamed right near her Mum’s head, Zoe’s Mum was now wide awake but she did not understand what was happening. Zoe was really afraid at that point, so she hid under the thick snuggly blankets and that calmed her down.
The next morning, as usual, Zoe woke early and ran outside to investigate what might have happened during the storm. She was surprised to find an injured rainbow lorikeet, so she picked it up carefully and carried it inside. Zoe had some experience in caring for injured birds but this bird looked most unwell. What should she do for the bird?
Zoe wrapped the bird in an old towel and tucked it under her bed where it was quiet and the bird would feel safe.
Zoe thought she should check again outside in case there were any other animals in distress. She found a young echidna huddled up in a ball - it was obviously lost. She would need thick gloves to handle this animal. Zoe ran inside to ask her Dad if he could come to help with the rescue.
When Zoe’s Dad arrived, he noticed blood on the echidna and decided it would need to be taken it to the vet. Zoe remembered they had a small cat cage that could be used to transport the echidna safely. Zoe’s Dad agreed to take the rainbow lorikeet to the vet as well.
At the vet’s surgery, it was sad news for the rainbow lorikeet. It was badly injured and would have to stay with the vet for a couple of days to gain strength, but the echidna needed just a band aid and that was it.
When Zoe and her Dad arrived home, they released the echidna. Before long, it was waddling cautiously back to its burrow. They hoped it would be safe if there was another storm.
The family was pleased to hear later that week that the bird recovered and the vet released it as well.
Now Zoe will remember it is best to be brave during a storm – she has the shelter of a home but the creatures in the wild have every reason to be more frightened than her. They are at risk of injury and dying.
Zoe was pleased to have been able to help save two special creatures that live in her backyard.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!