The Storm

Finalist in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

BANG! The lightning outside our house continued. Zig-zagging across the sky. Crash! Went the thunder, Pitter-Patter went the rain. The raindrops looked like they were racing down the window. I ran to my mum frightened.
“Don’t worry, you will be safe inside,” she says.
I run back to the window to continue watching the rain. It was dark outside, and it was scary.
“ARGH!” I scream, it suddenly went dark. I feel something touch my leg, “ARGH!” I scream again, then I realise it is only my cat when it starts to purr and jumps into my lap.
“Charlie, it’s okay, I am here now!” my mum says from behind me, she nearly has to yell so I can hear her over the thunder.
The lightning zig-zags across the sky again, this time I am not scared, I am fascinated, it is like an artwork, I decide that tomorrow I will paint an artwork like this.
The power comes back now, the black-out is finished. But the storm continues on. Now, these balls of ice are falling out of the sky, small at first, about the size of a five-cent coin.
“It’s snowing, it’s snowing!” I shout.
“No, Charlie. It isn’t snowing, this is hail,” my mum says to me.
“Well, I still like it all the same,” I say. I hear my mum laugh behind me.
I watch the storm, fascinated at how storms can be scary and pretty at the same time.
After a while the storm stops.
“Charlie, come have a look outside,” my mum says, walking to the door. I follow her outside.
The ground is covered with hail, it look like it has just snowed. I am glad I am wearing my snow jacket and pants.
“Mum, can I go out into the hail?” I ask.
“Come put your boots on first,” she says. I go up to her and she puts my boots on. I walk to the edge of the verandah.
I take a deep breath in and step. I fall on my face. It is cold.
“ARGH!” I scream again when I get up. I start to cry, but then I realise it is really cool. I stop crying and walk some more, falling onto my face about every second step, but I don’t mind.
I spend the rest of the afternoon walking around in the hail and looking at all the damage the storm had done to the farm. I am glad that we had our house to shelter in, and that the cows had their barn and the horses had their stable.
I love storms.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!