Sal

‘I am alone, and miserable; man will not associate with me; but one as deformed and horrible as myself’ she read to herself, she leaned far back into her sofa and mumbled ‘same’. She put the book down atop a pile of novels on her coffee table. She wouldn’t say ‘Frankenstein’ by Mary Shelly was the best novels she’s ever read, just to say… it was different. It did not have magical qualities of other books, that stole her from her average life. Making her believe in wonder and magic... For the few hours they lasted.

She sighed rising from her couch her eyes planted on the blank screen of the TV, a blue light under the TV indicated a show recording. The show recording was ‘Bones’. It was tradition to watch the show with her friend every Friday. But he is yet to arrive.

She replayed his message over in her head. The tone rang ‘you have one new message’ beep. ‘Hey Sal. I just finished work, I’m heading right over. Also, you won’t believe the new wheels I just got…’ Beep ‘press one to save message, two..’ beep ‘message saved’.

It was needless to say Sal was a bit worried, that message was sent over an hour ago, the show started 15 minutes ago and he should have been here 30 minutes ago. She knew this was what she does, overthink. He’s alright she tried to reason with herself, he’s a car nut there’s no way he had an accident. He must have been caught up at work unable to contact me she thought. There no way anything could have happen to him, he’s such a safe driver he loves his car to much, yeah, no way, she reassured herself once more.

She was alone with the blank TV screen, the pile of books, she pulled over her computer. With the lift of the lid the blue light flooded the room. Flipping open Facebook, to waste time.

Scrolling down Sal noted some of her work colleges out for dinner, further down was her old school friends partying and below that worst of all her mother out at a bar. Seems she couldn’t even beat her mother out in having friends and company.

As she looked up she noticed the blue light of the TV had gone off, Bones was over, and still no company. Sal laid down looking up to the ceiling unsure what to do with herself. The one night where she always had something to do had morphed into every other night of her existence.

It was starting to weigh on Sal the absence of him he should have called, something must have gone wrong. It couldn’t have gone wrong, Mark couldn’t leave her.

The phone started to ring. She almost fainted with relief, its him he’s ok, I was overreacting she told herself. She walked over to the phone calming herself. Before picking up the phone she glanced at the caller ID. It read ‘000’.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!