Cabin In The Woods

When she was a girl, she dreamt of a cabin hidden in the woods. A small, warm cabin for her and her alone. A place away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the world. She’d dreamt of searching for unicorns, caring for bats, befriending other woodland creatures. She thought it was a brilliant idea.
“Mummy,” she said, approaching her mother who sat at the piano in the living room, “Can we buy a cabin in the woods?”
“One day, perhaps,” she smiled, petting her daughter’s soft head of brunette hair.
She smiled up at her mother, gap-toothed, and skipped off. That was enough of an answer for her.
Her mother didn’t return that night. She and her mother never bought a cabin in the woods.
In her adolescence, she wished for a wooden cabin. A place in which she could leave her grieving father behind. A place where she could not only escape others but herself, as well. A place she could drink tea in the early morning, light a fire in the cruel winter, a place she could be alone.
“I’ll get out of here someday,” she’d told her friends as her fingers danced across the keys of the piano.
She couldn't.
She soon forgot her wood cabin, instead losing herself in work as she attempted to make something of herself. She worked and worked, growing more and more tired with each passing day. Her back and fingers ached, her eyes grew tired. Swept up in orchestral music, she lost herself.
“This isn’t what I wanted,” she whispered to herself in the empty living room, hunched over the piano.
She was stuck.
She remembered her cabin in the woods on her death bed, frail and weak. No one sat beside her as she slipped away. No one cared enough to be there. She was afraid. She didn’t want to go. She didn’t do enough, didn’t love enough, and didn’t live enough. She wished she could turn back time, to repeat everything. She’d change everything, head in the right direction.
She passed like any other, in her sleep, unaware.
She got her cabin in the woods. She drunk tea in the morning, she lit the fire on freezing nights. She wrote. She played. She drew. She explored the forest surrounding her humble home, an endless expanse of trees as far as the eye could see. She felt as though she’d forgotten something, something which bothered her, but she never discovered what it was.
She dreamt of her cabin in the woods

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!