Beyond Wonderland

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

We are in the middle of a desert full of vibrant electric colours. The loud music is breaking my eardrums. People are wearing colourful dresses and costumes with different lights hanging around their head, neck and wrists.
We continue to walk through the darkness but the only light we can see are the neon coloured signs that tell us which way to go.
As my eyes are adjusting to match the night vision, a random girl with neon green hair, nothing but a glittery tutu and marshmallow shaped stickers on the middle of her breasts pops out of nowhere and pauses right in front of me. She gives me a sweet smile and sticks her tongue out. She moves closer to me and starts to kiss me. Drunk as I may be, I follow the rhythm of the dance her lips are doing. I feel her smile against my lips as she whispers,
“Welcome.”
I open my eyes and the things surrounding me shift. I follow a light that is dancing in my vision. It was dark all throughout the alienated place I am in but a small beam of shifting coloured light is the small voice that is telling me everything is gonna be okay.
Walking for what seems like forever, I finally reach the destination where the light is taking me. Gentle voices’ tickling my ear is all I can hear but the pounding of my heart is violent. I feel my cells running through my body in a speed that is abnormal. My nerves are palpitating and adrenaline rushes through me. My mouth is getting as dry as a dead flower in the middle of hot summer’s day. I slowly open my eyes as dizziness engulfs my head.
“Woah.”
It seems to me that I wake up from a coma in a new world. Comfort and solace finds me and my body begins to relax. I can’t help myself but to be awed with what my eyes are witnessing. I look at my surroundings with my mouth half opened. Giant flowers of different kinds are surrounding the place. Trees taller than the sycamore are dancing with the beat of my heart. The pathway is shimmering with little insects of light. Mushrooms with little people under their umbrella are waving at me. I feel myself let out a chuckle.
My head spins and I am taken into different places for another hour. Places where dinosaurs in vibrant green land are alive, playing with me. Pink elephants and wild animals guide my way in the hidden land they live. Different kaleidoscopically swirling colour patterns, modernized and vintage such as mandala in various colours are in the background.
Surrounded by unfamiliar faces disguised with colour paint and glitter I barely know, I’ve never felt more like I belong. Our bodies move along the rhythm of every beat of the song, coordinating through music and movements that sync us as one.
This is lifestyle. No regrets. Only good vibes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!