Fading

It seems as though I am drifting, and a mighty gale may knock me over. I am flying, airborne, ‘a candle in the wind’. Indomitably, as I fade, I am befuddled by a solemn wave of weeps that wrenches me from the ambiguous grasp, channelling panic into my frail, shivering body.
Mother, her face streaked with tears, smiles. I should smile back, but I am too far gone. I read her smile, and it is tranquil and true. “Smiles like that, you don’t see very often,”, father would retort, writhing from a fit of hysteria. Mother, though, had smiled like that, in her own exceptional way when I had graduated my schooling years with flying colours. And when I had written my first novel, she kissed me on the cheek, and whispered in my ear: “thank you for making my life just the way you would like it.”.
Alas, the day a phrase was muttered into mother's ear by a fleeting female figure, dressed in a colourless coat, her eyes squinting as though she was gazing at the sun, mother pressed her palm against her chest, let out a wracking sob and began to cry. She began to cry for the first time I had seen it. And as I melt into my surroundings, floating abysmally, I put it into my head that I love her, with all my heart. I love her for her heart, untainted and angelic, for her everything. Yet, when she mourns, I won’t be there to weep on her shoulder, to love her as she might love me. And as life fades away, I remind myself that life is a monstrous beast, ferocious and unforgiving.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!