The Perfect Gift

Finalist in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Zac trudged slowly along the sidewalk. He realised that this Christmas would be the first one without his Mum. Zac’s Mum had died of breast cancer only 5 months ago, leaving him and his Father all alone. Zac really missed his Mum. Especially with Christmas around the corner, he knew that there would be no fat juicy turkey and one less gift for him and Dad. He also knew that his Dad would miss her even more. His Dad hadn’t been the same since his Mum died, he had gone into a sort of coma. Eat, work and sleep was all he pretty much would do now. Zac wondered what he could get his dad for Christmas. He thought that if he found the perfect gift his Dad would emerge from his coma.
Zac looked up with a start, he was already at school! “Maybe,” he thought, “I could get my friend Ben’s help in finding the perfect gift.”
At Lunch, Zac confided in Ben. Ben thought for a while and then suggested “Why don’t you write a poem telling your Dad how much you miss him and stuff. I know how good you are at writing poems.” It was true, Zac was very good at writing poems. “Yes, that's a brilliant idea! You’re the best Ben!” Zac responded. The rest of the day went as a blur. Before he knew it, it was the end of school.
As he walked home, Zac decided to stop in at the ice-cream shop. “One rocky road caramel sundae please,” Zac asked. “Of course young man. That will be $3.75,” said the shop assistant. “Thank you, sir,” Zac replied.
Zac sat down in a booth, got out his notebook and started the poem. 5 minutes and one delicious sundae later he was finished.
Dad;
I miss Mum,
So much it makes me numb.
I wish you’d play with me,
Sit me on your knee.
Your heart is never near,
Let me whisper, “come back” in your ear.
But your heart is in Mum’s grave,
I wish you’ll let me release you, it’s all I crave.
Please spend more time with me,
As I finish the rhyme.
Come back, dear Dad.
I need you.
You are mine.
Zac
The next day Zac read it out to Ben.
“That’s great Zac! How can you do that so quickly?” Ben wondered. “It’s easy,” smirked Zac, “you just need ice-cream. Hmm… maybe that's why you’re not all that bright.”
“Hey! Take that back! It’s not my fault I’m lactose intolerant!” Ben yelled. “Nope, come and get me!” and with that Zac ran off.
Finally, it was Christmas time. Zac got a video game from Ben and a football
from Dad.
When Zac handed the poem to his Dad, he noticed after that when his Dad turned to him there were tears in Dad’s eyes. “Son” Dad said, “this is the best gift you could ever give me. It's called Love.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!