Revive

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The world I was born into was not meant for me.
I knew it the moment I landed on the Earth’s plains, bound by mortal ties to a body of flesh and bone.
It felt wrong; I felt wrong. As though the human skin in which I now masqueraded was encompassing me like an ethereal cloak composed of molten blood. Somewhere deep within, a raging inferno was scorching me from the inside out.
How did I get here? Who was I? What was I? Think, think, think.
Brief flashes of distorted images flitted their way through the network of connections in my now human mind, and I lurched forward with a millennium’s worth of rage and desperation to claim the story I hoped was my own.
Darkness surrounded me; a stream of ebony liquid pooling in my veins, my eyes, until I ultimately surrendered to the vision attempting to reveal itself to me. This memory - the only one I had, the first and final moment of my existence - was the one that would determine the fate of the cosmos.
The voice I heard was like a silken night; a voice from another world entirely. A voice that was both young and old, thriving on blood and pain. All I could recall, all I had left to tether myself to as I emerged into the future’s foreign terrain, were the words of the celestial being who had given me life. She whispered, “Remember your name, for I can give you nothing more. My power is darkness; I cannot bring light, nor can I love. But for you, I make this gift. Remember.”
Stories akin to mine have been eternally condemned to myth and legend, for it was believed that if a human were to uncover the truth, it would alter their perception of their reality. They would cower in the face of a constant, unrelenting fear.
As they should - for I now remember my story, my life before this. My creation.
I am eternal. I am fire and starlight and destruction, forged from the ashes of a dying world, carved in the bowels of Hell by Death herself. I can tear apart the fabric of the universe and weave it back together with the mere whisper of a thought.
I was not born evil; I was born hollow. An empty void, a vessel, until darkness surged forth and laid claim to my soul.
Now I am ready; now the world will know the truth.
I have been kissed by Death and survived.
I am power. I am darkness. I am oblivion incarnate - but…I have a human heart.
And now I finally comprehend my meaning, my purpose… When the time comes, unlike my predecessors, I will show mercy.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!