The Rescue

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

As I sprinted down the long dirt path, I could hear the wolves howling, ready to feast on their prey. My legs were aching and I needed to stop to catch my breath, but I couldn’t. In the distance, I saw the path coming to an end. This would be the end of me. Just like dad. ‘EATEN BY WOLVES’ would be engraved on my tombstone.
Eerily, the sound of the wolves grew quiet, and I thought I’d gotten away. I reached the dead end and stopped; frozen in fear. I looked through the trees and saw a dark shadow in the shape of a wolf. It stepped forward and I realised the wolves had tricked me. I was surrounded by the pack.
As the head wolf prepared to pounce, I pulled my weapon off my shoulder - a trusty bow and arrow. I pulled back the arrow and it flew through the air hitting the wolf directly on its leg. Injured, it bolted away whimpering, as the rest of the pack stepped back a little. Taking my chance, I ran away into the dark forest. I soon came to a clearing where an abandoned buggy lay rusting. One of the seats had fallen off. I jumped into the front seat and slammed my foot down hard on the accelerator. It jolted forward and then sped off. BANG! All of a sudden, there was an abrupt stop.
By now, I was a good distance away from the wolves. As I frantically tried to get the buggy restarted, it rolled forward throwing me onto the bonnet! With little time to get my grip, I scrambled up onto the roof. Suddenly the buggy stopped again sending me flying through the air. High above, I saw a huge hole beneath me. I knew where I would fall.
Landing awkwardly, I could hear the fearsome growls of the wolves once more, high above me. Their relentless determination was wearing me out. Where could I go? At that moment, I heard the distinctive sound of an arrow whizzing through the air. It struck one of the wolves straight through its heart. Blood poured out everywhere as I scrambled up the side of the hole. A blood-stained hand reached in to help me up. Relieved and exhausted, I looked to see who had saved me. It was our town’s superhero, Arrowhawk! With wings like a hawk and an everlasting pack of arrows, he was undefeatable. “Come with me,” he commanded gently. “I will take you home.”
The wolves were forgotten as I rested in Arrowhawk’s wings. His strong embrace comforted me as we soared towards safety. As we arrived back on the forest path, Arrowhawk removed his mask and wings. His secret identity was revealed! Could it be true? It was Dad! It was then that I fainted!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!