I Love You

It was a soggy day and there was rain dripping down the glass of the window. I was expecting my mum to get home home at any minute now ...but, she never did. I was starting to get anxious as I heard the silence of cars. All of a sudden, I heard the jerk of the door handle and then a knock on the door. I sprinted down the stairs and stood at the door waiting, no noise, no movement. So I placed my hand on the cold door handle and opened the door.
There stood a man, soaking wet. The man wore a navy blue uniform and as he entered through the door, I asked him, “Can I help you?” “Is this the Genour home?” I hesitated, “Is there something I should know?’’ He slowly took his drenched hat off his head. “Your mother went driving this morning, to the friendly grocer but as she was taking the second exit at the round about, the car skidded on the slippery tar and then collided with a telegraph pole.” I tried to speak but I choked and stuttered. “I, I, is she alright?” “We took her to the hospital with a broken arm and cuts to the face, she is in a stable condition and will need some time to rest, I’m very sorry,” he said with sympathy.
“Can I visit her?” “That’s why I am here!” A smile crossed both of our faces. His big tough hand held mine as we walked through the huge, white building towards two marble desked. “We are here to see-” A tall young lady interrupted, “Right this way.” Her heels tapped against the tiles on the floor. I walked into a small white room with the sun gazing onto a small white bed with cotton sheets. There laid my mother. So peaceful, quiet and beautiful. The sound of the knock woke her up slightly. Her eyes gradually opened as she said, “H, Hello?’’ “Hey mummy it’s me.” Her smile lit the room as she saw mine.
A month later, it was spring. The flowers were blooming and the weather couldn't be better. Her laugh could have been heard from a mile away as she sat on the swing in the park.
Everything was perfect, but one thing was missing … a father. At that very instant, a man walked through the park. My mum smiled as he walked towards us. “Hi my name’s Eric.” “I’m sorry, have I met you before?” my mum replied. “No, no I’m new here!” “Oh um my name is Eliza, and if you would like, I could give you a tour?” “Yeah that would be nice.” “Same time, same place next week?” “Sure, see ya.” My mum smiled as he walked away. I giggled slightly. My mum looked at me and then nudged me with her elbow. As we walked home, we laughed and talked. “I love you.” “I love you too.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!