Two's Company

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The first time Hades sees the goddess Persephone, she is one with the flowers in the most beautiful garden Hades had ever seen. As the guardian of the underworld, Hades’ most intimate companion is the touch of death. Seeing such a radiant child – glowing with life and flowers springing to life underneath her chubby fingers – made Hades’ breath catch in his throat. Ironically, it is upon the first meeting with the goddess of spring and life that Hades’ heart stops for the first time.
The second time Hades sees the goddess Persephone, she plucks the fistful of dead, wilted daisies from Hades’ petrified fingers and breathes life back into them with a laugh. She has grown into a sprightful woman, with golden hair tumbling down her sun-kissed skin and lean muscles glowing with morning dew. She’s simple, yet unbelievably beautiful.
Terror bubbling beneath his skin, Hades makes to leave, but when Persephone presses the vibrant daisies into his hands and begs him to keep her company for a mere second in their eternity, he stutters.
“Will you stay with me?”
Helplessly ensnared, Hades throws all caution into the wind and lingers.
They talk and talk until the sun falls and diamonds scatter the yawning sky. Persephone giggles like the starlight, coaxing life back into whatever Hades brings to death. For the first time, Hades feels fragility of flower petals without it crumbing under his touch, Persephone’s presence a soft, reassuring caress. Hades tells Persephone about a million worlds and the lonely millennia, spins tales with finesse rivalling Athena. It is only when they part that he realises that he is the one who’d learnt more about the universe.
Hades had never related to humans before, but when he steps into the world of the living again, grass drooping around him like a curse, he suddenly understands their need for fire. For a moment, doubt crawls up his throat. Then, a cheerful whoop, and Persephone appears like a blazing inferno, greeting him with a bouquet of carnations as white as snow. When Hades’ cold fingers latches onto the flowers, Persephone doesn’t let go and the life remains.
It becomes a routine. Whenever Hades steps foot into the living realm, Persephone is there, accompanied by fresh flowers and the warmth of home. They talk and play and banter, gleeful with the exhilaration of freedom. Many springs passes, trickling streams overridden by sunlight and soft laughter. Slowly, like a hesitant seedling enticed out of hiding, an emotion nurtured by friendship blooms.
Once, Hades would’ve turned and ran at the mere mention of love, too fearful of death to become attached. Now, Hades steps confidently into the world of living, greeting the goddess of spring with well-worn fondness. He accepts the vivacious scarlet carnations and Persephone’s lingering touch and he’s home. Even before Hades opens his mouth, the gentle lilt of Persephone’s cherry lips gives her answer away. Hades smiles, tucking a strand of spun sunlight behind Persephone’s ear.
“Will you stay with me?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!