Safety First

As I arrived at the airport, I felt excitement bubbling up inside me, ready to burst like a fizzy soda bottle. After checking in, I went to my gate and sat down. I still had 15 minutes till my flight so I decided to read. After 10 minutes, I heard my plane being called but I wanted to finish my chapter first. By the time I finished my chapter a long queue had started to form. I sighed; and I got up, joined the queue and waited.

Finally, I had got my seat and was ready to fly. The crew gave us the emergency procedures; I never listen to them. I always get bored, and to this day that has been the biggest regret I have ever made. I used to think that nothing could go wrong on planes. And - guess what, I was wrong. An almost death experience can change your life forever.

Midway through the flight, I woke up to hear the most unusual noises. They sounded like someone was swinging a tennis racket harshly on a windy day but a million times worse. The noise irritated my ears so much that I had to ask for ear plugs. Although, then instead of hearing noise I could feel the plane slightly rocking. Imprudently, I ignored the feelings completely thinking that it was just a bit of turbulence.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain. We are experiencing some turbulence. Please stay seated.” I was still as calm as the shallow tide of the ocean. I sat down and looked around to see the anxious and nervous faces of the passengers. I didn’t understand what the fuss was, it was just a bit of turbulence. Suddenly a sharp wave of tiredness hit me like a bolt of lightning. I started to feel nauseous. I couldn’t breathe. My body was starting to burn up and my head was spinning. Suddenly, oxygen masks fell out. I didn’t know what they were because I never watched the emergency procedures. Dizzy, I stood up to go to the bathroom.

SLAM! That was the sound of me collapsing. I was on the floor unconscious. I couldn’t see a thing. My head was throbbing like someone had thrown a metal ball into my head and I couldn’t breathe. I felt paralysed. I couldn’t move or talk. I felt hundreds of arms reaching to me but I couldn't move . Deep red blood was oozing out of my body like lava falling down a volcano. Then I fainted.

I woke up in a hospital bed with my family surrounding me. I couldn't remember anything. I was told that the plane had flown too high and lost oxygen and because of my condition, I couldn't travel for a while but I never wanted to go on a plane again. Then I realised something, life is a maze. It can go one way and take a radical departure from where you thought it would go.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!