Grandpa, The BEST Story Teller

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

It was late and I was getting sleepy, but Grandpa said he would tell me a story.

The next thing I know, I thought I was dreaming, but it felt so real. I was in a dark alleyway that I had never seen before. There was no way out, so I pushed on the walls of this mysterious alley way, hoping to find a door. Finally, I pushed and part of the wall opened slowly in front of me to show a dark passageway.

As I walked down the dark passageway every torch that I walked past lit up as I went by, revealing a flaming skull on the top of each torch. While I was walking, I realised that the passageway seemed to get narrower and narrower.

After walking for a while the passage opened into a vast cavern with two sides and a small wooden bridge in the middle. All of a sudden a booming roar filled the cavern. I knew exactly what animal that roar came from. I had read enough dragon books and seen enough dragon movies to know what a dragon sounded like. I quickly put down my backpack and pulled out my cricket bat. I carried this cricket bat with me everywhere. My Grandpa had given it to me when I was only little and told me it was magic. I sure hoped so, I needed some magic right about now.

The dragon roared again and appeared in front of me. I grabbed the cricket bat really hard and the wood split in half revealing a light sabre. Thanks Grandpa, I thought.

The dragon took a swing at me with its tail but I ducked just in time and chopped it off with my light sabre. The dragon roared again this time in pain and agony but that wasn’t enough for it to give up. It kicked me and I was sent flying over the little bridge to the other side of the cavern. I landed hard on my leg and was hurt pretty bad but I wasn’t ready to give up yet. I charged, well actually I limped as fast as I could over the bridge at the dragon, and jumped as high as I could on my good leg. I managed a slice at the dragons neck and off came his head. After that no dragons were going to get in MY way!

The dragon went tumbling down onto the bridge which straight away collapsed under his weight, and shook the cavern so hard the walls started to crumble. Oh no I had to get out of there fast, I had to find another way back home.

I leaned back on the wall behind me to rest, and it started to give way. I fell backwards with a start and found myself at home in front of the fire with Grandpa sitting right beside me. “Hey Grandpa, you are the best story teller in the world, ever”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!