The Dream

Finalist in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

"Be quiet Tom!" yelled Mr Higgins.
The voice rang in my head, my first yellow card and it was only 11 o'clock. As if that wasn't bad enough I got an F minus in maths, things were not looking good. As Mr Higgins' voice droned on, I drifted off into another world...
I was in an orchard, strange noises all around me. Blackberries, raspberries and oranges appeared all around me. The fruit looked delicious and I picked some to take with me. The next thing I saw was a thin path with two big iron gates. I thought I would go and have a peek. I went through the gates and along the path. It stretched into the distance and it was quite scary. Finally the path came to an end where I found a little man. I felt that I should get back to the orchard but the man said, "Hey, what are you doing?"
"Well", I said, my voice was trembling now, "I was just about to leave."
"OK,” said the man. "Off you go then.”
I left the path, making my way back to the orchard but I realised the gates were now closed with a huge lock. I was trapped! I couldn't get out. I heard a voice in the distance. "Tom, Tom, are you with us?" It was Mr Higgins, I tried to answer but the words didn't come out, he couldn't hear me.
What could I do? I needed to get out of here. I started going back down the path towards the old man. "What are you doing back here?" he asked.
"I was just wondering if you would let me stay for supper, I'm ever so hungry."
He was just about to answer but suddenly a black hooded thing swooped overhead. In a second it was gone. "What was that?" I asked. The old man did not answer he just stood there with his mouth wide open.
"That was a Grim,” he said. "A Grim is a dangerous creature, it is a warning that you need to be very brave to get out of here. If you don't get out by sunrise you will be here forever."
"I'm not very brave, you know. I’m going to need help," I replied.
“Funny you should say that,” said the old man. “Remember the orchard? Go back there, under the blackberry bush, you will find Anastasia, the queen of wishes. She will help you get back.”
I did as he said and found the big, fat blackberry bush. To my amazement, she was there.
“Do you need to get back Tom?” she asked politely.
“Yes, I need to get back to my world before I get into any more trouble.”
“I know you’re having trouble with maths right now. Answer this question and you will be back in class immediately. What is nine divided by three?”
"It’s three!” cried Tom with joy.
Suddenly Mr Higgins’ voice said, “Yes it is Tom, welcome back."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!