The Ripple Of The Water

Finalist in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The year was 1863 and was a cold March winter morning. I looked out at Loch Ness and saw the old fisherman in his row boat. I live in Urpuhart Castle on the banks of Loch Ness. My name is Aileen Dallis, I live with my Aunt Bridget, my parents died when I was little. There was a violent storm and they rushed to get me from the garden, took me inside and went to close the door but the wind was too strong and they never came back indoors. Apparently they drowned in the Loch but were never found. I am a believer in the Loch Ness monster, having heard stories of the monster from my great grandma. Secretly I hope that Nessie is looking after my mum and dad.
I pulled on my favourite knitted sweater and my itchy skirt and ran out into the hall. Jumping down the stairs two at a time, I raced into the kitchen, gave my aunt a kiss, then ran out the front door, my Scottish terrier, Maisie, following at my heels. I leapt onto the rocky banks of the water and stared into the mist just like I had for the past ten years, hoping to see a glimpse of the monster. The water rippled and a huge slimy, wet, green and bluish shape rose out of the Loch, covered in seaweed with a grumpy expression on its face.
I was so shocked I stumbled but then I looked at the immense beauty of Nessie. I had the best time, while still trying to stay hidden as I ran in the shallows and jumped from rock to rock. The monster wasn’t so mean at all. After what didn’t seem long at all, my aunt called me inside for tea and I had to say goodbye to the monster. I watched it swim away to a cave then it dived under the water.
Indoors I walked into the drawing room. Maisie snuggled up in her basket and I got out my favourite book about explorers and adventures. As I began to read, my aunt brought in my favourite Scottish delicacy, a chip butty and a hot chocolate. When I finished eating, I went up to bed and fell asleep after the long day.
I woke at the crack of dawn to deliver the old fisherman his Sunday paper and scones. When I entered the old cottage and gave him his paper and scones, he told me he wanted to show me something. He led me to the cave where the monster disappeared and as I walked inside, I was so happy that I cried! Not only did I see Nessie, but my parents too. They rushed to me and told me when the storm hit they got washed into the water and were saved by the monster. So we all ran and lived happily together never telling anyone the secret of the rippling water until this day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!