Bring On The Bronc

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Woohoo! Charlie’s ears were bursting from the cacophony made by the hyped-up, crowd. Charlie’s gaze fell upon the large arena surrounding the rodeo chutes, filled by the cheering crowd and the fiercest rodeo competitors in the outback. For newbie Charlie, the sight of ringers getting thrown off mega muscled, irate bulls, was the most death-defying thing he had ever seen. Rock-hard dirt was compressed beneath everyone’s feet. One fatal fall on the solid ground could shatter your spine. As the night evolved, each event took place. Charlie’s heart was thumping rapidly, he knew as soon as the bull ride was finished it would be his turn to compete in one of the most popular events in a rodeo, the bronc ride.
“Ladies and gentlemen, hold onto your horses, you’re in for a wild ride tonight! Coming up is one of the most dangerous events you will ever watch. First up from the Barkly is Charlie Simpson, having his first crack at the bronc ride,” exclaimed the announcer. With shaking hands, he clutched the rusty rail and lifted his long skinny legs over the chute, slowly sitting down in his saddle. With one hand, he grasped the thick rope and swung his feet into the stirrups. “Give us a yell when ya ready mate!” shouted one of the ringers. “Righto!” yelled Charlie. The chute swung open and the bronc was off, kicking up dust with each buck. Charlie felt like he was on a relentless rollercoaster. He felt his body leaning sharply from side to side nearly slipping out of the saddle; he couldn’t believe he was riding a bronc. Suddenly it all went wrong. The fender and stirrup on one side on his saddle fell to the ground, Charlie was now left with one.
The pickup men, Jimmy and Rick saw the impending doom about to happen, Charlie’s fate was in their hands. As they were trying to pull him off, the bronc flung Charlie into the air. He felt a severe jerk as his foot got caught in the stirrup. He was now dangling from it, any moment the fender could become loose, Charlie could fall and be kicked to death.
Rick spurred his horse over to Charlie as Jimmy grabbed Charlie’s rope and held on tight. Charlie felt like his leg was being torn off. He felt the fender breaking; he knew he was a goner. Before Charlie bit the dust, Jimmy leapt off his horse onto Charlie’s freeing his foot from the stirrup. Rick kept the horse going in one direction, as Charlie’s foot became free, he hit the ground with a thump! He was safe; Rick then led the horse behind the chute. Charlie’s heart was beating a million miles a minute, he felt tender and sorry for himself, but relieved he was alive. If Jimmy and Rick weren’t there to save him, the outcome would have been different.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!