A Soul Taken By War

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Turning to each side, my comrades- my brothers in arms stand stony faced ready to witness the horrors of war once again. I had thought, surely this would get easier every time I’m about to charge forward and rip the life from men just fighting for their country, but no. If anything, the tightening in my chest had grown to ache but now it was a throb. I feared that I would never find my soul mate but be taken by the wave of death that had taken so many of my brothers before. A soulmate was one that could never hurt me — never cause a blemish on my soul. A soulmate was incapable of maiming me and I wounding them. Nonetheless, I would never find them in this disease ridden of revenge and despair. May as well get on with it then. I released my breath and charged into the oncoming swarm of enemies.

Swinging and slashing. Blood splattering across my face, but I did not stop. Unattached limbs mangled and tangled in the mud. But I did not stop. Screams for wives and children left at home echoed across the field of annihilation. But I did not stop. Before me the mass of metal and flesh parted, and I saw my next victim that would meet death via my sword. And he saw me too. A steady breath calmed the pumping red in my veins and soothe the rampant fire of my heart to a smoulder. Then I charged.

Our swords met with a ferocious collision. He was a formidable warrior, but the weapons I wielded were like lovers to me. I knew every curve — every indent. There was no true challenge when we danced on the battlefield. I swept his feet from the ground, causing him to sprawl on the red dirt. Going to strike for the kill his dagger comes up to meet my descending heart. This is it. This was my end to such a marvellous warrior, underestimated by me, that had fought so valiantly against my experienced techniques. But then, the sun was still beating down on us and the battle was still raging mercilessly around us. I stared down at my chest unpierced by the blade of my soulmate. And then the light fled from his eyes as my own blade sunk through his chest and cut his beating heart in two. He was gone by my hand. By my blade.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!