Fashion

Ira Black tapped her fingers on the bench and clicked her tongue. She had not been in Melbourne before so it was different to what she was used to. Ira and her parents had come to Melbourne to visit her mum’s sister. Ira lived about one and a half hour’s flight away from Melbourne. She was 14 years old and had recently got a job in her mum’s fashion shop- Fashion. She and her parents were in Melbourne for the Christmas holidays so Ira had gotten a job at her mum’s sister’s fashion shop for the holidays.
Mrs. Black dialled Ira’s phone number and began to speak. “Ira? Could you please tell your aunty that I have got the new deliveries in for Fashion so I will have to go back home for a day or so. Tell her we will meet at a café after work please.”
“Okay mum,” replied Ira. She hung up and walked to the back of the shop and into her Aunt Violet’s office.
“Aunty Violet?” Ira called.
“Oh Ira! Come in. Sit down,” Aunty Violet said. “How are you today?”
“Good thanks,” said Ira. “Mum just found out that the deliveries for Fashion has just arrived so she’ll need to go home for a day or two.”
“Oh dear,” she sighed. “Well, if you’d like you could stay here, in Melbourne while she is away?”
Ira gasped. “I’d love that.”
Mrs. Black sighed. “Ira I’m sorry. Fashion may have to close.”
“What?” exclaimed Ira. “Why?”
“It’s just too expensive to run,” Mrs. Black replied. Ira just said, “Oh.”
Ira thought hard about what she could do to help save Fashion. She could clean the house or have a garage sale. That’s it! Ira smiled. She’d have a garage sale!
“Mum,” said Ira. “We could have a garage sale! That would help Fashion, wouldn’t it?”
“I don’t know. But, I suppose so,” Mrs. Black said. “Are you sure you could run it?”
“Of course!” answered Ira. “I’m sure it will help.”
The next week, Aunty Violet, Mrs. Black and Ira headed back to Ira’s home. Mr. Black and Ira’s uncle had stayed in Melbourne though, so they could look after the shop. Ira, her mum and her aunt’s plane landed at the airport at four thirty in the afternoon. They drove up to the house belonging to the Black’s and rushed in. The next three days they were busy selling things. After the garage sale, they flew back to Melbourne, where they counted the money before handing it to the staff at Fashion. Mrs. Black got a phone call saying how Fashion staff were very grateful and explained to her that two young girls called Hope and Destiny wanted to join Fashion. They were about Ira’s age and went to the same school as her.
At the end of the holidays and when school went back, Ira, Hope and Destiny were excitedly talking about how much fun they had and what they did for Christmas. Then, they happily walked into class.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!