Scavengers

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

As she scurried the savage streets, there was not a sign of life. There was no sound except the panting of her, desperate to find food before the full moon would rise. Still scavenging to live, she’s been looking for days, but so far, nothing has come her way. She takes a sharp turn down into a dark alley with an abandoned table, and she climbs up, only to admire something she thought she would never see again; food. It was a single apple, but it was still fresh and after this long, anything was everything. Then she suddenly turned to a fierce howl from a dog; he needed food too, and now it was only to be won. As they looked each other in the eyes, a shiver ran down her spine. Who would get the apple? Her or the dog? She let out a scowl. The dog, another howl. The dog charged at her, mouth wide open. SCRAPE! BITE! YOWCH!
She was hurt. Badly hurt. Ear cut, mouth shut. Why did she still strive to survive? She let out a hiss and the dog ran away, but then it was noticeable that the apple was taken away. She narrowed her eyes to see more clearly, but it wasn’t there. When she was recovering, the dog had taken the apple. He had what he wanted, that’s why he fled. She tried to get up, but there was a splinter in her paw, so she just laid there, and soon, was fast asleep.
When she woke up, she was in a room. An odd room. A room with a bed, table, hygiene. A room which was like they had never heard of the war. The war which had wiped out all the humans. Or was it only their town, and there were still more humans? But she had been so sure there was nothing else than them abandoned pets, and if there were more humans, why hadn’t they come to their town before? She tried to get up again, and surprisingly, was able to stand. Then she felt itchy on her ear and noticed a plaster there. She felt safe. She felt like she had a place to be. She felt like somewhere, there was somebody calling her. But who? Interrupting her thoughts, a HUMAN came into the room.
An alive human, not a zombie! He saw her awake and grabbed her. She struggled to get out of his grasp. No use. He handed her over to a little girl with a worried expression. Once she saw her, she was relieved. Why did she care for her? All she knew was, she was safe at last, somewhere she was needed, somewhere she belonged, somewhere she was loved.
And maybe one day, you might find that cat if you leave a fresh apple in an alleyway. Make sure there are no dogs around!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!