Late

The music blasts loudly, bouncing off every material it can find. My eardrums burst as I hit the floor ready to do my favourite move. The crowd goes wild as I tumble across the cold, brass tiles. TICK, TOCK, TICK. I can hear the faint sound of the clock ticking the background and that’s when I remembered my time was up.

My heart skipped a beat as I raced out of the colourful room. All I could think about was how angry mum would be if she noticed I was late. Then a voice stopped me. “ Where are you going Lucy?” She questioned. I wanted to answer but I knew I had to go.“Um….are… just down to the station,” I answered hoping she would let me slip past. She thought for a second, then finally let me through. My heart sank back into the right place as I continued on.

As I arrived at the train station, I glanced up at the train timetable. “Sutherland, Mortdale, Penshurst, OATLEY!” I muttered. I looked down at the arrival,
“TEN MINUTES!” I yelled at the top of my lungs. A cold shiver ran down my spine. Now I was really frustrated. I peered down at my watch.“Its 11:45 pm, I have 15 minutes,” I whispered as my nerves overtook my muscles. 5 minutes had past and the train still hadn’t come. CHOO, CHOO. The sound of a slight train whistle raced towards me.“It’s here!” I said, breathing a sigh of relief.

After I stepped of the train, it was 11:57pm. VROOM! A white mini car raced past me with the number plate: BTO859. Oh No! It was my mum. I had to get home ASAP. I ran home as fast as my little legs could carry me. My heart was beating like mad as I dodged, 3 light poles and 5 pedestrians. I was happy, excited, scared but mainly nervous. I sprinted up the driveway, jumped in pyjamas and then flopped in bed.

The clock struck midnight as I breathed a sigh of relief. I could hear mum’s high heels clattering against the pail wood. MY EMOTIONS WERE FLOWING OUT OF MY MIND. Then mum walked in, “Oh! Your home early, your curfew was at 1 am.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!