The Ranger

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

I was walking home from school. I got to my room. I went straight to bed. When I woke up, I wasn’t in my bed. I had no idea where I was. I looked around, “Oh my gosh, what is going on?” All I could see was trees, lots and lots of trees. It was like I was in some sort of endless forest.
Suddenly I heard a loud BOOM! I looked up and saw a fiery, smoky volcano! I knew what was going to happen. I turned around and started sprinting. I wondered if for some reason I was in the Jurassic!
I stopped running when I came to a cliff. I heard footsteps coming towards me. I cautiously looked around and saw a man swing down from the cliff.
“You’re not safe here!” the man yelled. “We have to keep moving! By the way, I’m a Ranger. The name’s Chase.”
“My name is Josh,” I said.
“Follow me kid,” said the Ranger.
As I ran following the Ranger, I kept on thinking that the Ranger looked familiar.
Eventually we stopped at a humungous tree.
The Ranger said to get onto that big platform. It was hard to spot the hidden platform with all those branches and leaves in the way, but I saw it. It was made from rough wood and vines.
“Kid, grab onto these vines and pull them,” said Chase.
I held the vines and Chase did too. We slowly pulled ourselves up to the platform.
“What was all the commotion back at the cliff?” I asked.
Chase said, “I was being chased by velociraptors because I forgot to use my smell-proof cream.”
“What’s that?” I asked.
“It’s a cream I use so I don’t smell like meat to predators,” said Chase.
“How high is this platform off the ground?” I asked.
“About 50 metres,” said Chase.
So I went to the edge and looked down. I saw velociraptors jumping up and down! They had teeth like steak knives!
I was shocked!
“How did I end up here? Did I come in some sort of portal? Where are we?” I asked.
Chase said, “You are in the Jurassic time period. And I’m actually your father. Many years ago, a volcano erupted. When I was carrying you to safety, I dropped you and I couldn’t find you. I thought I wouldn’t see you again but here you are.”
I was amazed and confused. I had lots of questions but the Ranger said, “Let’s go find your Mum!”
“What’s my mum doing in the Jurassic period?”
“Come on Josh,” said Chase, “I’ll answer all your questions as we go.”
I followed Chase, who is actually my dad, I know I can trust him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!